Inbox: Somehow his hands were in the right place

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
hxf4w28ptx5vlhvi7zre

Corey from Bethlehem, PA

As a Packers fan and an avid Insiders reader, I find myself emotionally attached and invested to almost every player on the roster. The fact that there's a chance Blake Martinez as well as a few others won't be back hurts, but I understand. How do you deal considering you have more interactions with the team?

You understand it's just part of the business. It's hard to see some guys leave, and not to sound cold, but I've just gotten used to it.

Brian from New Port Richey, FL

It will be hard for the Packers to better their 13-3 season. Yet, because they won ugly so many times, their improvement next season could be in their style of play. That perception will be in the hands of Aaron Rodgers. If he can buy into Matt LaFleur's up-tempo concepts, as we saw briefly in the NFC Championship Game, that could be their measure of improvement. To accomplish this, Rodgers will need to curtail his constant pre-snap analysis and just run the play called. Is this possible?

Going up-tempo means staying in the same personnel, which keeps the defense in the same personnel, limiting the changes and adjustments they make and presumably reducing how much pre-snap analysis is needed. It's a completely different way of operating, which requires packages of plays that get repped by specific personnel groups over and over. I think in Year 1 of LaFleur's offense, they had to limit those packages to two-minute situations, and there was so much else to work through they couldn't expand the menu to go up-tempo at other times. You can't burn what you might run in two-minute in the first quarter. I think the menu expansion is coming in Year 2.

Frank from Wake Forest, NC

I love looking at stats, but one that escapes me is passes defended. I think that means the pass is knocked down. If so, do DL or edge rushers get credit for a PD if they hit the ball at the line of scrimmage?

Shaun from Sun Prairie, WI

Any key thoughts on the Super Bowl this weekend? Your keys to the game?

Kansas City has to stop the run, and San Francisco has to keep Mahomes in the pocket. Neither guarantees victory, but failure in either area will make winning far more difficult.

Al from Green Bay, WI

I have lots of respect for both coaches in the Super Bowl matchup. Which of them is more likely to have something new (like the "Philly Special") in his back pocket?

They both will.

Scott from Milwaukee, WI

Do you think the Chiefs have enough offense to overcome the 49ers' crushing defense and win the big game?

Yes, I do. I like the Chiefs in a close one. I think the more dynamic quarterback wins it in the fourth quarter.

Garrett from Knoxville, TN

If you had to pick, what position does Gutekunst target in free agency this year?

It depends on what the market looks like. No one will know who's really available until the time comes.

Chuck from Sun City, AZ

I place a wager on a sporting event and lose. Later it is determined that the winner cheated (Astros, etc.). Should I not receive a refund?

Good luck with that.

Thomas from Evansville, IN

Favorite memory of/moment from this season? Mine is probably Rodgers to Williams in the back of the end zone against the Chiefs.

Hard to argue. Jones around left end to the house in the fourth quarter at U.S. Bank in Week 16 is in the conversation, too.

Cindy from Los Angeles, CA

Hi Insiders, I saw Scott Tolzien was hired to be an assistant coach by McCarthy in Dallas. What qualities did you see from Tolzien during his time with the Packers that might indicate success as a coach?

He's a tireless worker and an intelligent guy who never wants to stop learning. If he finds a passion in coaching, those traits will help him maximize the opportunity.