Inbox: Something had to be done

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
ztci8tc3pynjrwh1fion

Gary from Sheboygan, WI

II, there has been some call for the Pack to draft a slot receiver with little thought of one of the current receivers manning the spot. Wouldn’t it be wiser to put one of our current receivers there than to put a rookie in the position?

You guys have heard me say before how difficult it is for a rookie receiver to come into the league and just set the world ablaze. It takes time, particularly in this offense. I know they aren’t traditional slot guys, but Allison and the three rookies have a leg up on any rookie the Packers pick up. And before anybody asks, LaFleur said he views Jake Kumerow as a perimeter receiver, for what it’s worth.

John from Yakima, WA

Agree or disagree on a schedule prediction: 200th meeting of Packers and Bears on MNF and likely in early November?

Honest question: Can you have two prime-time games in the same season against a division opponent?

Carl from Sussex, WI

If the internet is correct, 2019 is the 14th straight season with a prime time Packers-Bears game. Is there, or has there been, a longer prime time streak between any other two teams?

I believe the Cowboys and Giants have the same streak. If those two play in prime time again in 2019, that would also mark their 14th consecutive season playing each other in prime time, as well.

Evan from Stephens City, VA

The NFL kicks off its 100th season on Sept. 5. I honestly believe the Packers’ Week 17 game will be against the Bears. How perfect would that be? Celebrating 100 years of football to start the season, and finishing the regular season on the 200th Packers-Bears game on Sunday Night Football to decide who will be kings of the north. We haven’t finished the regular season against the Bears since 2013, so I think it's past due.

And that 2013 game sure was a doozy.

Jim from Mazeppa, MN

The NFL kicks off 100 seasons with Packers @ Bears. Excellent and predictable choice. Must we wear color rush uniforms? Seems like throwbacks would be more appropriate.

It’s no longer a requirement to wear the Color Rush uniforms. It’s strictly up to the teams. My guess is the Packers won’t wear them in the opener since they’ll likely be playing another Thursday night game later in the season.

Al from Green Bay, WI

I wonder how many brand new NFL head coaches have the opportunity to kick off their legacy on the opening Thursday of the NFL season. Maybe none until Sept. 5?

I have neither the time nor patience to find that answer, but I’d bet a good amount of Spoff lunches the list isn’t long.

Jeff from Dorr, MI

With the both teams possessing the ball in overtime rule: If first team scores, then the second team has to go for the win. Say the first gets a touchdown and extra point, the second team has to go for two. Should the first team get a field goal, the second team has to score a touchdown. Both teams’ offense and defense get on the field and games don’t drag out.

Yes, but the winner of the coin-toss still has a big advantage, right? If you win the toss, wouldn’t you just defer? I don’t know if this solves the problem.

Mike from Las Vegas, NV

You said the price was too steep to trade up from 12 this year. Was there anyone in last year's top 11 that you would have traded up for?

Roquan Smith was enticing because there weren't any other linebackers quite like him in last year's draft. However, the Packers really needed a cornerback and Jaire Alexander was the right pick at the right time for the right price.

Andrew from Shalimar, FL

Even with the FA additions to our defense, I feel that our first pick should still be the BAP among OL or a defensive player that’s not a CB. That being said, do you think the presence of Jimmy Graham and Marcedes Lewis as veteran mentors makes it smarter to take a TE early?

LaFleur likes tight ends and being multiple with his formations, so it wouldn’t surprise me at all if the Packers drafted one early. You won’t find two better veterans to learn from than Graham and Lewis, either. At the end of the day, however, everything depends on who’s available and where.

Dean from Vienna, VA

I know it was mentioned before but I can’t find it. When will the preseason schedule be announced? Thanks for all the great writing and info, gents.

Last year, the preseason schedule was released on April 11.

Bob from Sydney, Australia

I didn't understand the move at the time. But it seems like it worked out all right getting what's essentially a fourth-round comp pick for losing Ha Ha, while also bringing in another starting safety and adding three more free agents?

What the Packers received was better than a fourth-round comp pick. It also worked out since the Packers wouldn’t have received a compensatory pick if Clinton-Dix left as a free agent.