Inbox: Teams never have enough

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
tmqrvemf17t0z5yrr5j4

Rebecca from Madison, WI

Insiders! I am responding to Wes's answer to James from Appleton about Jordan Love. Wes mentioned what he knows of Jordan Love is based on the 10-minute "young guys" period at the end of practice. My interest was piqued about Wes's opinion of what he witnessed. I know it's not much time but just a hint of your first reaction.

I won't speak for Wes, but my initial look last August confirmed Love has an NFL arm, and he's plenty athletic in the way he moves around. Beyond that, we've never had a year like last year where we got less of a gauge on rookie players making the transition to the NFL.

Jacob from Superior, WI

I apologize if this has been asked but I keep seeing articles about Jordan Love not being close to ready. Have you guys seen him yet?

We saw him Tuesday, but continuing the last answer, there's no way Love can be ready in late May of Year 2 after everything he missed last year. No rookie minicamp, no OTAs, no full-squad minicamp, no preseason games in 2020. If he in any way, shape or form was going to be ready without all that, he wouldn't have been available at pick No. 26. Nothing I saw on Tuesday changed my initial thoughts from last summer, but until we see the seven-on-seven and 11-on-11 drills at full speed this summer, no other evaluation from media observers will mean a whole lot.

Tim from Jupiter, FL

Teams should be required to run at least one lateral on offense in every game in which they wear throwback jerseys.

With no replay to determine whether or not it was illegally forward, right?

Carl from Sheboygan, WI

I watch a lot of sports, but mainly football, basketball, baseball, and some hockey. All have implemented some form of video replay, increased the number of referees/umpires, etc., all with the idea of "getting the call right." Of these four sports, which do you think is the toughest to control from a ref/umpire perspective?

I'm not sure what you mean by "control." If you mean fixing bad calls, I think they've all improved officiating in that vein, but all have rules in place that don't allow certain types of calls to be reviewed, and that leads to understandable frustration when mistakes are egregious. Individually with the sports, I don't watch enough hockey to comment, though I do want to catch more of the Stanley Cup playoffs this spring. Football's problem is there are so many moving parts that reviewing one thing (whether or not the QB losing the ball was a fumble or incomplete pass, for instance) often reveals something else that can't be part of the review (holding by an offensive lineman, or hands to the face by a defensive lineman, as examples). For me, baseball and basketball get most annoying when replay shows little things that ultimately decide calls but were never meant to be within the spirit of a review, such as during tag plays on the bases and tipped balls going out of bounds on the court. The law of unintended consequences is inescapable. All that said, the sports have to keep looking at their review systems and trying to improve them. Diligence and dedication are required more than ever, because as I've said many times, getting rid of replay is not an option when the broadcast technology is showing fans at home a different game. The officiating has to match, as reasonably well as possible, what fans are seeing on their TVs or the problems only get bigger. Sorry for the long answer.