Inbox: That'll be quite a sight to see

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
losbizai09odwtol8afk

Scott from Grovetown, GA

Be honest now Wes, when you looked at the schedule did you count the number of noon games (eight)? By my account, you should be home before midnight on 14 out of 16 game days, and several of those even before 10 p.m. possibly. That means only two early morning returns – San Francisco and New Orleans. Looking at it from a work aspect, does this schedule meet your approval?

It does. The first three things I do are look for the bye week, scan potential holidays and then count up the number of noon games, especially for the home games.

Mike from Los Angeles, CA

In 2018, we took two CBs a year before the first CB off the board was at pick No. 30. In 2019, we sign the Smiths, and draft Savage and Gary, a year before the first-round sees no safeties taken and only one pass rusher selected in a historically weak class for the position. Now, in 2020, we draft Jordan Love with a weak QB class predicted for next year. This can't be a coincidence, so kudos to BG and our scouts for staying one step ahead so we don't have to reach for the "best" of a bad class.

The Packers have been one step ahead with how they've approached player acquisition. The Packers have their quarterback of the future and probably won't be heavily focused on what the 2021 class looks like one year from now.

Chase from Ft. Wood, MO

Are you surprised they didn't make Rodgers/Brady primetime?

If I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn't be more surprised than when I saw the Packers and Buccaneers game wasn't on Sunday Night Football.

Dan from Lowville, NY

For me, the first thing I look at when the schedule is announced is, when is the bye? Week 5 is way too early for a team that expects to be playing Week 18, 19, and beyond. Do you agree?

It's not great but as a wiser fella than myself once said…sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes the bear, well, he eats you.

Tom from West Palm Beach, FL

Something that immediately struck me about the Packers' schedule – after the Week 9 game in Santa Clara, the farthest they travel from home is either Detroit or Indianapolis, both of which are only about an hour flying time from Green Bay. Could be an integral part of a recipe to get hot on the way into the playoffs!

And what you outline is the other side of the schedule coin.

Sal from Mullica Hill, NJ

In this virtual offseason, there are no tryout camps. Is this something that can be done later in the offseason or is it too late? The tryout players are long shots at best, but it is a shame for the one shot to be lost.

Great question. Keep in mind, Darrius Shepherd was one of those individuals last May and he wound up being the only undrafted rookie to make the 53-man roster. I hope for those players' sake, the league does something at some point to help those rookie tryouts get exposure.

Ashley from Chicago, IL

I'm glad the NFL released their schedule because it brings a bit of hope for tomorrow's world. With that said, what are the very early projections? I do fear the early bye week, yet the last eight games of the schedule seem to be in the Packers' favor. What are your thoughts?

Spoff was spot on in his analysis about this year's schedule. They'll be tested. They always are. Like 2019, that middle part of the season will be tough but I like how it ends for Green Bay. A Week 5 bye is pretty early but I wasn't expecting another Week 11 one, either. The schedule is never perfect but I thought it was pretty balanced and fair.

Dale from Aurora, CO

Do you see LaFleur using his three running backs creatively? I envision him using Jamaal Williams at right half, A.J. Dillon at fullback and Aaron Jones at left half. Yep, the old T-formation. What do you think?

Anything is possible. The Packers didn't draft Dillon to keep him on the shelf. If he's ready, LaFleur will find a place for him – just like he did late last season with the snaps Tyler Ervin received in the offense.

Brian from Urbana, IL

Do you think the extra dissatisfaction this offseason is due to cabin fever and slow news, or would fans have reacted this way regardless of context?

I don't think it helped matters.

Tyler from Peoria, AZ

Why do people hop on bandwagons so easily? It is really annoying and every time they do it nothing good comes out of it (cough cough, 2020 Bucs, cough cough, 2019 Browns, both had proven players so we can draw a connection). Also, everyone is acting like we didn't sweep a Vikings team last year that has recently lost key components. Do you believe that the Bucs and Vikings will be as outstanding as everyone is saying, or should I just let it go knowing that they are unproven?

The comical thing is the real up-and-comers are rarely preordained. I mean which national pundits saw the 2011 49ers, 2019 49ers, 2017 Rams or 2019 Packers coming? The shiniest object isn't always the most valuable.

Baxter from Magic City, ID

Insiders, I know it may sound cliché, but I'm bringing it anyways. Do you think Aaron Jones and A.J. Dillon are going to form that lightning-and-thunder tandem you hope for?

And don't forget about Williams. A trio like that could be thunder, lightning…and maybe heavy rain?