Inbox: That's a credit to the entire group

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
qqvouaknoqkfudxttxzt

Jeff from Eveleth, MN

Interesting year. 2020 draft class is kind of nonexistent now. No contribution from Jordan Love, very little so far from Dillon, Deguara out for year, no fourth-round pick, Kamal Martin yet to contribute. So far only Jon Runyan has been impactful. Still 4-0. Wow.

When you reach a conference title game and your draft slot is 30, improvement is far more likely to come from within than from a rookie class, unless you're turning over a ton of starters, which the Packers weren't. They lost two expensive free agents, cut an overpriced tight end, didn't re-sign a backup outside linebacker because last year's first-round pick was on the rise, and didn't bring back a veteran nickel corner at retirement age. That was pretty much it. They plugged some gaps in free agency, were counting on young players to develop, and drafted mostly for the future. The 2017 draft class – Kevin King, Jones, Williams – has had its biggest impact, by far, the last 1½ seasons compared to its first two despite six of the picks from that year no longer being on the team. So what does that mean? Stay tuned.

Dave from Phoenix, AZ

Good morning II, while I am enjoying the very bad start of the season for the Cowboys, I can't but feel bad for MM. I thought it was a good hire for them and was excited for him, as well as he'll always hold a soft spot in my heart for bringing us a title, but it's not looking like it's turning out the way it was supposed to be so far. Do you think the game has passed him by and if fired, will he be regulated to an assistant from here on out? He has the talent in Big D, just like he had in GB, too!

McCarthy took over a team in Green Bay that had gone 4-12 with Brett Favre, Donald Driver, Ahman Green, William Henderson, Chad Clifton, Scott Wells, Mark Tauscher, Aaron Kampman, KGB, Nick Barnett, Al Harris and Nick Collins. The Packers also had just drafted A.J. Hawk and Greg Jennings plus signed Charles Woodson and Ryan Pickett as free agents. And he started 1-4, without a pandemic offseason, and was subsequently 4-8 before winning 17 of his next 20 games. I realize McCarthy is a miracle onside kick from being 0-4, but if I were Dallas, I'd be willing to give him some time before entertaining the "game has passed him by" talk.

Nate from Sioux City, IA

We've heard a lot lately about the cadence and its effect on the pass rush. Aaron Rodgers' mastery of this improves the play of all his linemen by giving them a split-second advantage and keeping the defenders from anticipating the count. David Bakhtiari is widely regarded as one of the best left tackles in the game. If Bakhtiari played for another team, would he still be one of the best or does Rodgers' presence make him elite? Was Bakhtiari just as good with, say, Brett Hundley under center?

Bakhtiari was named second-team All-Pro in 2017, when Hundley started nine games and played most of a 10th. I'll also add that before this year, Bakhtiari has had to work off a silent count for half the games he's played in his career. The film doesn't lie, my friend.

Matt from Waunakee, WI

Now that preseason is over, what are you expecting around the league?

Well, if the officials don't start calling more offensive holding and less DPI, and if full, noisy stadiums are not on the horizon, I'm expecting lots of points to continue being scored.

Donald from Possumneck, MS

I think it would be wise for both of you to stay away from each other's lunches until this corona thing passes. Stay safe Insiders!

I Googled it to make sure it's a real place, but is that really where you're from, or are you just trying to expand the Inbox's reach?

Tim from Ottawa, Canada

People are complaining about the messed-up season because of COVID. I think back to the strike years of '82 and '87 if you want to talk about messed up. A few cancelled games and teams playing uneven schedules can be compensated for by eliminating the divisions like in '82 or simply going by best W-L percentage. Example, if one team goes 10-6 and another 9-5, the 9-5 team has a better W-L pct. Some fans may not like it, but a perfect season is beginning to look unlikely.

I warned everyone in this space over the summer to be prepared to accept some inequities. The NFL is going to do what it takes to get through this season, whether or not it means everything is completely and totally fair.

Jeremy from Thousandsticks, KY

Insiders, what do you think of the Eagles winning their first game of the season after four games, and it catapults them into sole possession of first place in their division?

I think the tie on their ledger could end up having huge implications down the line. It did for the Packers in 2013.