Inbox: That's his next step

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
vfaqbbc5qtyghrn6kbgj

Sean from Baltimore, MD

Packers have lost six NFC title games dating back to 1995 (right?). Is that an NFL record for conference title games lost?

It's the most since '95 yes, but not the most since the 1970 league merger. Since '70, if my impromptu research is accurate, San Francisco has lost nine, Pittsburgh eight, the LA/Oakland Raiders seven, followed by Green Bay, Minnesota, Dallas and the Rams with six each.

Sue from Tomah, WI

Welcome home, Mike. Everyone is concentrating on Jordan Love, and seems to be ignoring Tim Boyle. Don't get me wrong: I am totally looking forward to seeing the young man play, but wouldn't Boyle be played more since he is the No. 2 QB?

Boyle has two summers of game snaps under his belt in his career. Love has none. I'm not saying Boyle wouldn't play in the 2021 preseason, but I'm sure Love would play more snaps.

James from Appleton, WI

I sure would like to keep Marcedes Lewis around, especially if AJ Dillon has an expanded role – a road grader blocking for a bulldozer. But when everyone is healthy, isn't the tight ends room getting a little crowded? Who's the odd man out? Dominique Dafney?

With this offense, LaFleur would love nothing more than to have five capable tight ends in training camp fighting for roster spots and playing time. He'll let the players decide if there's an odd man out.

Mike from Lisle, IL

As long as we are changing the rules, can we also get rid of the coach's challenge? Let the coaches worry about their players, and let the NFL worry about the officials. A constant eye in the sky might even engender more consistency on all the calls.

I wouldn't object to that, but if the league is going to stick with the challenge system, make it simple and sensible. Two strikes and you're out. It makes zero sense that coaches who go 0-for-2 and 1-for-2 get the same number of challenges.

Katherine from Milwaukee, WI

What position is most needed for an upgrade?

As suggested earlier, another defensive lineman comparable to Clark, or another cornerback with Alexander's ability (whether or not King is re-signed) would improve the defense the most, in my opinion.

Jerome from Midland, MI

All I want is a true 3-4 defense not this hybrid crap. You referenced it before and after the Tampa Bay game (Week 6) that Tampa Bay's ILBs were studs. That is what the Packers are missing, game-changing ILB. Our executive team needs to acknowledge value to that position (first, second round) first. They have passed on those opportunities in the draft.

I won't argue, and I'll be curious to see if bringing in a new defensive coordinator alters any thought processes. Scouting and coaching are their own areas of authority, but I never felt it was just a coincidence when Capers arrived in '09 that the first two draft picks were needed linchpins for his system – a nose (Raji) and outside 'backer (Matthews). Pettine's arrival in '18 preceded two early picks at corner, but the Packers needed an influx at that position no matter who the coordinator was going to be. That was different. The '20 defense was by no means the '08 defense, so these situations aren't parallel either, but we'll see.

Mike from St. Louis Park, MN

Can we please get a video recording of you and Wes reading the Inbox submissions in real time? It would be like those reaction videos on YouTube. I'd love to see your facial expressions and hear your tone when laser goalposts come up, and perhaps we could all get a coveted look at Wes's lunch.

Trust me, watching a video of reading Inbox submissions would do nothing but cure insomnia.

Matt from Bloomington, IN

I don't know, Mike. Bitter cold is certainly rough, and does wear on you, but I've never had to shovel a foot of it off of a walk, driveway, or concourse...

It feels more meaningful to spend a day shoveling than feeding a fire or cranking up a furnace. Maybe that's just me.

Jodi from Grand Rapids, WI

I was rewatching the recording of Charles Woodson being told of his induction into the HOF. I wanted to see the part again when he turned to his family and said, "We" are in the Hall. Not "I" am in the Hall. Little things sure can say a lot.

Words matter. Happy Tuesday.

HAVE A QUESTION?