Inbox: That's how you play winning football

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
omsfl7z3wqqnudjiyynu

Dean from Leavenworth, IN

Wes? Is that you Wes? Game ball revisited. Week 1, it was Tae Adams. Week 2, it was Touchdown Jones. Week 3: Allen (needs a nickname) Lazard. Who will Week 4 be? For the record, I think this week it goes back to Jones. One more question, if last year was "winning ugly" is this year "winning pretty"?

It is I. Thanks to everyone for bearing with us. We're going to try to follow this alternating scheduled for the next week or so with the Monday night game on the horizon. My Week 4 pick is Robert Tonyan. He's playing more than ever and seems to be finding his groove. And if last year was "winning ugly," this year has been "winning definitively."

Derek from Norton, KS

With the bye week ahead, do you anticipate the Packers looking to give Davante Adams and Kenny Clark another week to recover?

No. If they can play, they will play Monday night. The Packers may really need Adams, too, depending on the severity of the core injury that held Allen Lazard out of practice Thursday.

Matt from Minneapolis, MN

One thing that I like about Matt LaFleur's offense is that it is built to last the season. By scheming opportunities for four RBs and four TEs, and big WRs like Allen Lazard, we spread the hits guys take throughout the season among a large number of guys built for contact. Do you think this could be an intentional way to stay healthier and be fresh when it matters most, or a lucky byproduct of the system?

It's a little of everything, but the advantage of LaFleur's offense is it's built around an idea more than it is the personnel. Certainly, the Packers want Davante Adams on the field but the offense can pivot easier to other personnel than when Jordy Nelson went down with his season-ending knee injury in 2015. Just look at how Tonyan, Jace Sternberger and even John Lovett have stepped up behind the line of scrimmage during Josiah Deguara's two-game absence.

Bob from Myrtle Beach, SC

So, as a defense, you had Aaron Rodgers, Aaron Jones, Jamaal Williams, and Davante Adams to game plan for. After last Sunday, we add Allen Lazard, and the TEs. As a defensive coordinator, how do you realistically game plan now? Also with all that, who is going to cover Marquez Valdes-Scantling?

The Saints didn't want Aaron Jones to beat them in the box and MVS to get loose down the field…and the Packers made New Orleans pay for that game plan with Lazard winning his one-on-ones and the underneath passes to tight ends. LaFleur and Rodgers continue to be one step ahead.

Mark from Bettendorf, IA

It seems the only way AJ Dillon gets more touches is if he "learns" pass protection. Is this something he had to do in college?

I don't think that's true. Dillon has only had a few snaps because Aaron Jones and Jamaal Williams are two really good veteran backs. You gotta remember Jones was a healthy scratch in his first NFL game way back when. The Packers want to get Dillon more touches – and he will get them, in due time.

Otto from Gaithersburg, MD

With all due respect, I have to disagree with Aaron Jones being our most valuable player after Rodgers. Behind Jones, we have at least one (and possibly two) guys who could pick up the mantle and be a 1,000-yard rusher, especially with how our offensive line is blocking right now. On the other hand, if Za'Darius Smith or Jaire Alexander get injured, our defense would be in a really tough spot.

I'd probably argue Adams is the MVP after Rodgers, or maybe David Bakhtiari, for the long-term ramifications for the offense if they were out for a significant amount of time. But Jones is not a bad pick. Yes, the Packers have a deep backfield but nobody who impacts a game quite like Jones. It's not just what he does with the ball – it's the attention he commands even without it.

Forrest from Euless, TX

Do you think Kingsley Keke's first sack is like opening a bag of Old Dutch? Can't stop at one?

Yes…haha…and that legit made me laugh.

Nathan from Lino Lakes, MN

It would seem if the stars had to align for anyone, this season is it for Rodgers. No preseason for the vet, no crowd noise for the master at the line, years of mental preparation for the changing environment. How does Rodgers prevent a regression to the mean as others catch up? It almost feels like he was given a 50-yard head start in the 100-yard dash, but there are faster/younger out there that will be showing up.

I think it's as simple as Rodgers just staying healthy. Because when he's in a groove, Rodgers typically stays in it. He's diligent about his preparation, takes care of his body like no other and really seems to be having fun out there. When those three stars are aligned, there are few better players in the NFL.