Inbox: That's not how it works

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
ux2hvnlcug26jvjpckty

Joe from Wausau, WI

Really looking forward to Gute's press conference on Monday so us fans will finally get to know what players he's targeting in the first round. Can't wait.

Marin from West Lawn, PA

Wes was spot on in his remarks about producer Mike Atkinson. I had the distinct honor and pleasure of meeting Mike back in 2017 when he visited my house to film a segment for the "Pennsylvania Packers" edition of the Packers Life series. I quickly found Mike the epitome of being what a true professional is all about, which fed off his wonderful personality. He was a tremendous asset to the Packers and I also wish him all the best with his future endeavors. He will be missed.

He certainly will. I wholeheartedly echo so much of what Wes said, and there's no point in trying to say it any better. I'll just share one enduring memory of working with Ax, when he drove the two of us to Canton to cover Jerry Kramer's HOF induction three summers ago. I'm never crazy about long car rides, but nothing makes a multi-state drive go faster than kicking back and listening to Ax tell stories. He's a gem of a companion, and there'll be no replacing him.

Josh from Melbourne, Australia

Wes's bit in the II about Mike Atkinson departing got me wondering exactly how many people work in the building producing content for the fans? The social media team and graphics team, website IT guys, writers like Cliff, the folks working behind the cameras, you all in front of the cameras, matchday commentary, etc. It must take a fair few people to keep the whole show running across the season?

Sure does. You've heard us mention some of the others here and there, but I'll give you the list (not including the uber-bosses, no offense to them), because there are plenty more than the names/faces like me, Wes, Larry and Cliff you regularly see. On the website, there's Duke, Joidon and our current intern Madeline. In video production, aside from Ax, there's Adam, Mike, Tyler, Taylor, Matt, Daniel, and current intern Elyse. And on social media, there's Ryan, Steven and current intern Rachel. I sure hope I didn't forget anybody. It's an amazing crew, and even more amazing to remember when it was just my immediate supervisor (who now works for the Titans), yours truly and Duke (as the intern). That was it, back when all this was just getting started.

Arthur from Eau Claire, WI

No question, but one of my Mt. Rushmore quarterbacks would have to be Dan Marino. I know he didn't have the best legs in the game, but his accuracy and quick ball release was something to watch.

Randall Cunningham, whom a reader mentioned the other day, and Marino were the two hardest for me to leave off the "most exciting" mountain among former QBs.

Neil from Tunbridge Wells, UK

When it comes to trading up in round 1 would it ever be worth trading up just one place for a player you believe in?

Sure, if you believe other teams might think as highly as you do of that player and might trade up to jump in front of you and take him. That's what the Bears, horribly wrongly in this case, feared in 2017 when they made sure they got their quarterback.

Steve from Lake Stevens, WA

Wouldn't you think the fact that the Packers have done such an outstanding job of finding quality offensive linemen in the lower rounds make it less likely they'd use a first-round pick that way?

That's not how it works. You grade the players, see how it falls, and trust the board. When the Packers drafted David Bakhtiari in the fourth round in 2013, their evaluation was not, "This guy's gonna be a five-time All-Pro by early next decade." Had they truly thought that, they would have drafted him in the first round.

Dylan from Cary, NC

Is there a rookie minicamp this year?

It is scheduled for two weeks after the draft, I believe.