Inbox: That's the kind of moment

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
qogaqcly2w04bxro23my

Rob from Louisville, CO

Regarding what Bakhtiari said about the wear and tear of playing 17 games, it seems like the O-line never gets to rest, even in blowouts. Obviously, it's a big risk putting someone else in the game, but you have to consider the risk of wearing out your starter as well. So how big of a lead would you have to have before you put in your second-string offensive linemen? Does anyone ever do that?

When they put in their backup QB, sure, but the starting QB isn't staying in the game if his starting line isn't. Also, in most instances only eight offensive linemen are active on game day, so there isn't a substitute for every spot across the front anyway.

Stan from Merrill, WI

I've been a regular reader since the "Ask Vic" days. I honestly feel like Vic helped me become a better sports fan, coach, father and person overall (I'm nearly perfect now, but my wife would have something to say about that). He helped me see that the journey IS the reward. Can you think of a thing that you have retained from Vic's influence on you?

He taught me two important lessons when it comes to the vast majority of stories I post on this website. The shorter the better, meaning keep it tight. And never lose track of the big picture, as in, don't get lost in the petty details.

Paul from Minneapolis, MN

Can you please explain what you mean by how Eric Stokes and Jaire play the corner position "differently"? Is it like: One plays more physical, one is more fluid? One is better in press, the other is better a few yards off? One is better in coverage, the other a better tackler? Curious what you mean.

At this risk of misinterpreting Wes, I'll give this a try. It's hard to explain without seeing it for yourself, but different-sized corners play the position differently. Their jams and techniques at the line of scrimmage are different because their arms are different lengths. The way they play outside or inside leverage varies due to their height or how they run most comfortably. For example, a shorter corner might position his outside leverage to be able to undercut a route and avoid getting boxed out, while a taller one might be more comfortable staying over the top and still able to make a play on the ball. Hope that helps.

Steven from Wilmington, NC

What is one thing that surprised you about working for an NFL team when you first got hired by the Packers?

Wes's answer to this made me chuckle. I recall being struck by how complicated everything is at this level – the X's and O's, the salary cap, draft boards, you name it. I didn't really appreciate the complexity of it all until I was immersed in it up close on a daily basis.

Christopher from Largo, FL

Who is your favorite Packers player of all time?

My favorite to watch growing up as a kid was James Lofton. My favorite that I've seen play in person and covered is a tougher call, but probably Charles Woodson.

Mike from Madison, WI

Mike/Wes: When I am out and about, people will look at my hat, or shirt, or jacket and see I am a Packers fan. They will say, "What's going on with Aaron Rodgers?" My response has always been, "Until I see who walks out of the tunnel on Sept. 12, everything else is just talk." Is there a better answer than this?

At the moment, not really.

Julian from Gastonia, NC

Of course it's understandable that you don't have photos of everyone. However, one of the photos you should have is Lionel Aldridge.

Without getting into all the details and to clarify Wes's answer slightly, it's not about whether we had the photos at one time but whether we have access to them now. Just trust me when I say it's complicated.

Robin from Ashburn, VA

What are you most looking forward to seeing in training camp?