Inbox: That goes for all positions

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
w0wegqgeyflkasbl387r

Travis from Fort Walton Beach, FL

Have any defensive players had latitude or authority to change plays at the line of scrimmage similar to how Aaron Rodgers does for the offense?

Not that I've ever heard. It's not really a fair comparison. Free-lance moves on defense – like Jaire Alexander blitzing from the slot to get Kirk Cousins for the safety in Week 1 last year – can be extremely high-risk and are therefore rare. If the offense botches a last-second audible, just hang onto the ball and live to play another down. If the defense botches one, it can mean a touchdown.

Ray from Phoenix, AZ

It was mentioned that Joe Barry used many five-man fronts with the Rams. Did he deploy an extra D-lineman or OLB to put his hand on the ground? I can see Gary being able to do that but how about our other 'backers?

The Smiths could do it, too. The personnel chosen will often depend on the offense's personnel package.

John from Livermore, CA

What is your best memory of training camp?

Chasing down Mike Ditka in his golf cart and Jim McMahon on his motor scooter for autographs when I was in junior high.

Steve from Middletown, KY

If stadiums go 100% capacity, do you expect total noise mayhem this year? After last year being so eerily quiet, will the loud volume bring smiles to the home players' faces?

Indubitably.

Brandon from Imperial, MO

When the schedule came out, what game did you immediately look at and say, "This is the proving point"? For me it's Week 9 against the Chiefs. With the extra game, if the Pack gets through that game with seven wins (barring any major injuries), they have a good chance at another 13-win season especially with the late bye week and late home games.

It's always fun to ponder stuff like that, and we have that luxury as outside observers. But those pivot points can't really be pegged in advance. They reveal themselves as the season unfolds, because so much is changing week to week.

Gary from Wolverhampton, UK

Covid-19 restrictions permitting I'm looking to come to Green Bay for a regular-season game, hopefully, the Seahawks game. My question is when does the NFL start to flex games out of the advertised time, and would it ever be moved to a Monday Night short notice as this would really mess my plans up … many thanks.

Flex scheduling does not apply to Monday nights. Games from Weeks 5-18 can be flexed, and any time change is made with 12 days' notice, except in Week 18 (six days' notice). The league can flex the Sunday night game only twice from Weeks 5-10 (the Seattle game is Week 10), and then any week from 11-18.

Carl from Gansevoort, NY

"A contract is not a contract in the traditional sense of the word in the NFL." You are simply so wrong in this attitude. YES players are cut BUT the team lives up to its guaranteed portion of the contract. The player gets ALL of their guaranteed money and employment beyond that point is at the team's decision within the pay outlined for the remainder of the contract years. The team cannot cut a player without meeting the contract guarantees nor can the player quit and play for another team.

Congratulations, you and other readers chimed in to prove you know more about contract machinations than a lot of NFL fans. I didn't say a word about guaranteed money the other day because that was irrelevant to my point, which was that too many folks have been saying, "Rodgers has a contract, he should honor it," and it's just not that simple. That's all I was trying to say.

Dar from Mansfield, TX

We have speculated here about which NFL season records might fall in a 17-game season. Which Packers' records might be most in jeopardy?

The first one that comes to mind for me is Jordy Nelson's 1,519 receiving yards (2014). Davante Adams had 1,386 in 15 games three years ago and then 1,374 in 14 games last year.