Inbox: That needs to be the focus

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
fh8xqzcpwhct4pahjafk

Dennis from Horicon, WI

Hey guys, here is a question that is looking down the road a little bit. IF the Packers would get the opportunity to draft a quarterback and his name is Trevor Lawrence from Clemson, I believe we would have another great quarterback for a decade. This guy is the real deal. Any thoughts?

Ha. You’re really going out on a limb there, Dennis. I think the rest of the NFL probably agrees with you. If Lawrence plays that way for the next two years, he’s not going to be around at No. 32 during the 2021 NFL Draft. He may not be available at No. 2.

Kevin from San Francisco, CA

Back in 1999 GM Ron Wolf remarked, "I can't believe he was still there in Round 7 when we picked him." Sixteen years and 10,137 receiving yards later, at Donald Driver's Packers HOF induction, Wolf revealed Driver had been given a fourth-round grade.

After I wrote that Thursday, I also recalled Ted Thompson saying something similar about Jeff Janis in his post-draft presser.

Patrick from Folly Beach, SC

Just an observation on the playbook/tablet issue. First, many players have memorized the plays. Second, it’s easy to take a picture of the screen with another device. Do you really think that a former player really could be like a spy for the new team? I say no, because its players not plays.

It’s not as easy as you think. Marquez Valdes-Scantling jotted down all his routes last summer, but that was one player studying a single position. Copying an entire playbook with an iPhone would be like rewriting with pen and paper.

Trevor from Seattle, WA

First unbanning attempt: the nostalgic approach. Wes, you and I are roughly the same age. Which of the following 2019 movies are you most looking forward to: “Men in Black 4,” “Toy Story 4,” “The Lion King,” “Aladdin,” or “Sonic the Hedgehog”?

You gotta be kidding me about “MIB 4.” Is anyone asking for it? Anyway, I’ll go with “Toy Story 4.” Welcome back to the Inbox.

Cameron from Cincinnati, OH

Regarding "I can’t decide if that’s ban-worthy or IIHOF-worthy," why can't it be both? Consider it a career walk-off moment. "Thank you for your contributions, Jake from Salt Lake. Good day."

Congratulations Jake. You may or may not be the inaugural member of the “Banned wing” of the IIHOF.

Caleb from Lakeville, MN

Who do you have: Virginia vs. Auburn and Michigan St vs. Texas Tech. Who are you crowning the NCAA champion?

Virginia better beat Auburn. If the Cavaliers win the title, all the better.

David from San Francisco, CA

Is it that cold in Green Bay that you can put leftovers in your car and they don’t go bad?

Living in Wisconsin year-round does have a few perks…like free refrigeration sixth months out of the year.

Scott from Salem, OR

So Wes is always out to lunch. That explains a lot!

We must protect THIS SANDWICH!

Chad from Rhinelander, WI

It's almost time to dust off my copy of "Draft Day" and get it ready for its annual viewing...the tradition continues!

Just dusting it off now??? I started my 25 days of “Draft Day” on April 1. Get on my level, Chad.

Kate from Ravena, NY

I introduced myself to Spoff at the Charlotte pep rally in 2017 and can confirm he was completely approachable and fun to chat with. My only regret was not being able to meet Wes because he was home welcoming Baby Hod into the world.

You didn’t miss much. If you met Spoff, you met the interesting Insider.

Dean from Leavenworth, IN

Belated happy third anniversary, Wes. Has it gotten any easier? And, 80 WPM, impressive! Back in HS (before electric typewriters) I think I hit 35. Unfortunately it hasn't gotten any better in the 50 years since.

Time flies. I was teeth-rattling nervous when I quit my job at the newspaper three years ago this week to join packers.com back in 2016, but I’m sure glad I did. That’s a credit to Duke, Spoff, Kregg Shilbauer and all the colleagues who make it fun to come to work (almost) every day. Onward and upward. Have a great weekend.

HAVE A QUESTION?