Inbox: That was a highlight in and of itself

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
xpbvmcbgazbq5vdpzl7i

Tim from Champaign, IL

Responding to Johnny from Madison, WI, about the "star" position, the name is most likely a reference to the fact that some defensive systems represent the slot corner with an asterisk in the playbook. Likewise, the dime DB is sometimes represented by a dollar sign and called "money."

I couldn't find an exact origin for how "star" got its name other than it's a term Bill Belichick's staff used in Cleveland in the mid-'90s. Nick Saban, who was an assistant for the Browns, later told AL.com: "The star really is the Sam (linebacker), so (Belichick) wanted an S-word for that position. When you put six guys in the game, whether it's a sub linebacker or a sixth defensive back, we had nickel, dime, dollar. Different money terms. So we just started calling that the money position." I'm not educated enough to know whether that term started with Belichick. I simply use this as an example to provide some background for why star is called what it's called.

Craig from Milwaukee, WI

Do you think the Packers could end up having two shutdown corners?

Having Jaire Alexander for at least two more years certainly increases those odds. Jaire is like the dude who cranks a 300-yard drive off the opening shot during a four-person scramble…he takes the pressure off everyone else so they can just be the ball.

Bret from Hertel, WI

Dear Mike and Wes, it was a very nice weekend and I hope you both enjoyed it with family/friends. Wes mentioned that Josh Jackson was very much in the discussion for a role in the secondary. Josh has started as a rookie, played special teams and done what has been asked of him. He had some injuries that slowed him as well. A new defensive coordinator gives everyone a second chance to meet new roles. Can Josh be in a new role in this defense or earn a job as a starter?

The competition is going to be stiff with all the cornerbacks back, and Eric Stokes and Shemar Jean-Charles joining the room. That being said, Jackson got reps outside with the No. 1s last week during Alexander's absence. That's important because last year he was playing behind both Keivarae Russell and a returning Tramon Williams by the NFC title game. This is a fresh start for Jackson, who's in the final year of his deal.

Hap from Graham, WA

Good morning II: the long-awaited first week of June is upon us. As much as I have loved Aaron Rodgers since the day we all witnessed his superb character sitting in the green room waiting to be drafted, I have to admit I am blown away by the recent GB/DEN trade package rumors, and I would be hitting the "enter" key on that one! Thoughts?

I have no thoughts. June 1 arrived and nothing happened…other than Spoff caught and cooked some fish.

Nicky from Hamden, CT

Why am I so scared about losing Aaron Rodgers? I had Brett Favre before him but Rodgers is it for me when it comes to growing up with a player. I'm scared also because it is so tough to find a franchise QB and I know how crippling it can be when you don't have one. But why am I so scared? Packers have historically been good at spotting QB talent…but what if that was a Ted Thompson skill? Ease my concerns here lol.

I think you're scared because he's really, really good. I'm still hopeful the Packers and Rodgers can patch things up, but even if they do, there will come a day when he won't be the QB in Green Bay anymore. That's why I've been pleading to everyone, through the highs and lows, to enjoy it.

Randall from Chicago, IL

Thinking of the upcoming 17-game season, here is a favorite never-will-be-broken-record of mine. Dick "Night Train" Lane had 14 interceptions in a 12-game season! I don't see that being broken even with five more games being played.

I agree. It's too tough for a defensive back to have 14 INTs in a season with how well QBs protect the ball these days. And when a QB throws too many picks for his team's liking, he tends to not be the QB for long.

Eric from Mequon, WI

I am a huge Urban Meyer fan so I've been watching a lot about Jacksonville. My question is why does the media (including former players) hate Tim Tebow so much? What has this guy done to be public enemy No. 1? They say he is a "media distraction" to teams but when the media is the one causing the distraction, how can they blame the player?

I always keep it simple with Tebow. Personally, I found him entertaining. I loved watching him play at Florida and in Denver. Since the beginning, Tebow has said all the right things and he's not asking for the media to engulf him. That's just what happens. Frankly, I wish Tebow would've attempted this positional switch six years ago instead of going the baseball route.