Inbox: That’s what it comes down to

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
wgvyq8x6jamjfrzhccs5

Justin from Sonora, CA

Not a question just a comment on your subtle way of injecting “A League of Their Own” into the II just days away from the start of the new baseball season!

Just trying to keep everyone on their toes. Good morning!

Derek from Eau Claire, WI

I hope that No. 12 pick turns into a player that strikes fear in the heart of the opponent. Position is irrelevant. You can patch need later.

This is a chance to acquire a generational talent. Does it guarantee one? No, but the odds are exponentially higher than when drafting at the end of the round. So I don’t care if it’s Oliver, White, Sweat, Gary, Taylor, Quinnen Williams, Jonah Williams, Greedy Williams, Wilkins or Hockenson. Find a playmaker, a tone-setter. You’re building for the future – not just 2019. That’s what it comes down to.

Jim from Pawleys Island, SC

Unlike Terry from Tomah, I think Wes would do fine drafting for the Pack. The listing of first-round wide receiver busts begs the question if some positions are easier to draft surer things in the first round than others. Running backs? Oops, Maurice Clarett. O-linemen? Oh oh, Tony Mandarich. Wait, maybe Wes and I (and Terry!) should leave it to the professionals. That said, I'm taking one of those Iowa tight ends if available...you, Wes?

All I wanted to do was debunk this myth about can’t-miss prospects, specifically at skill positions. Everyone has questions this time of year. But yes, I’m paid to write. I leave the scouting to the folks upstairs.

Andrew from Falls Church, VA

Of the 16 proposed rule changes for owners to vote on, which two would you most like to see installed for the next year?

Making 15-yard and spot-of-the-foul penalties reviewable for a year tops my list. The NFL Competition Committee appears to not be interested in Sky Judges. I honestly thought that would get a little more traction.

Mike from Madison, WI

When Green Bay drafted Equanimeous St. Brown, I couldn't help but think he would fit in on the rosters of Key & Peele's East-West All-Star teams. Of the three receivers drafted last year, does E.Q. seem to have the most potential to have a breakout season?

All three are talented in their own right, but St. Brown intrigues me because he’s still only 22. He has a very bright future. If you know anything about his story, St. Brown puts everything into this. His second year should be fun to watch.

Bruce from Green Bay, WI

Our new offensive lineman Billy Turner reminds me of Mike Singletary. When he is out of uniform he could pass for a librarian, but with his game face he could scare the heck out of you. I hope he helps out as good as predicted. He seems versatile and athletic.

These are the acquisitions the Packers historically have had good success with – players who flashed potential, but maybe don’t have the most established resume (Jared Cook, Erik Walden, etc.) Turner, a former third-round pick, seemed to put it all together last year in Denver. The Packers are banking on Turner to stay on that incline.

Dean from Leavenworth, IN

Will the Rams or the Cowboys be on the schedule this year? If so, home or away? I've relocated my No. 52 jersey to the back of the closet (next to No. 4) and I need a new backup to go with my gameday 12. Looking for someone who projects to still be here 6-8 years down the road. Any suggestions? Thanks Wes.

The Packers travel to Dallas this year. Jaire Alexander might be your best bet. If you have Bill Belichick singing your praises, chances are you’re going to be a decent player.

George from Sturgeon Bay, WI

With regards to the question about our latest FA acquisitions assuming a locker room leadership role, how long was it before Charles Woodson did so?

Everyone goes at their own pace. I think Woodson, Mike McCarthy and Joe Whitt Jr. all spoke about how it took some time for Woodson to warm up to his new surroundings. Once Woodson did, however, he became one of the greatest leaders in franchise history. He grew into the heartbeat of the Super Bowl XLV team.