Inbox: That’s what training camp is for

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
op2wwonleucxlvhykfu1

Bruce from Green Bay, WI

If you already covered this, could you please cover it again? What is the supplemental draft? Are the players involved still in college? Are they able to start this year if drafted? The only thing I know is the team would lose the pick used this year in next year’s draft.

The supplemental draft, which takes place today, is a means for ineligible underclassmen who missed the deadline for April’s NFL Draft to enter the league after the fact. There’s a good chance Washington State defensive back Jalen Thompson will be drafted today. He planned to play for the Cougars this fall until he was informed last month he’d lost his eligibility. I’m not sure exactly why. All told, I think there are five available players. If drafted, the team gives up a 2020 draft pick in the corresponding round the player is selected. If undrafted, the players are free to sign anywhere.

Lori from Brookfield, WI

Wes, Aaron Rodgers had 25 touchdowns and two interceptions last season. Is he more likely to throw more touchdowns or have fewer picks in 2019?

More likely he throws more than 25 touchdowns.

Derek from Eau Claire, WI

Which Packers team, XLV to present, was the most well-rounded?

I’ve answered this before but I’ve always felt it’s the 2014 team. The defense didn’t play well early in the season but it hit on all cylinders once Clay Matthews moved to inside linebacker. Overall, I’d say it probably goes 2014, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016, 2013, 2015, 2017 and then 2018.

David from Appleton, WI

Has the NFL taken notice of the increased number of coaches and assistants on teams? There is a cap on the number of players, but there seems to be greater numbers of coaches without any limits there.

Facts. Coaching staffs are only limited by what ownership is willing to pay. Just look at the Raiders and Jon Gruden.

Eric from Beaver Dam, WI

Where do you live during the offseason and how is it different from Green Bay?

I live in Suamico. It has more mosquitos than Green Bay.

Justin from Redmond, WA

I'm surprised no one mentioned the home-run derby from Monday night. Did you see the battle between Vlad Guerrero Jr. and Joc Pederson? I wanted it to just keep going.

So was I – to the point I even checked one last time to see if there were any HR Derby questions before we posted Tuesday’s Inbox. I was messaging back and forth with our manager of social media Ryan Hartwig about it on Monday night. It wasn’t just the home runs, either. It was the pace the players were hitting them. When I was a kid, I remember guys hitting a home run and admiring it for a few seconds. This was like whack-a-mole. It was fun nonetheless.

Margeaux from Tallahassee, FL

I did the Legendary Tour, Wes. It was fantastic! Coming out of the tunnel to the piped-in crowd noise had tears in my eyes. I did check out the press rooms but didn't see any windows. Sounds like you have moved up.

Next year’s Outsiders Inbox question – windowless office (yes, I said office this time) or cubicle with a view?

Cody from Wamego, KS

Wes, I loved that Evolution reference (the song started playing in my head instantly). If you could make a new Evolution with any current or former Packers who would you choose?

Jordy Nelson (Flair), Aaron Rodgers (Triple H), Davante Adams (Batista) and Jaire Alexander (Orton).

Jesse from Santa Marta, Columbia

English question for the dead zone. I believe "irony" to be a literary device. Ex: A character brings an umbrella but gets soaked by a truck hitting a puddle. A real life event cannot be ironic since it wasn't created by a writer. It's just a coincidence, no matter how fitting or tragic. Hall of Fame coach George Allen, who famously believed water breaks make you weak, died from complications of a "Gatorade" shower that was actually just ice water because the team couldn't afford Gatorade. Thoughts?

That’s pretty close. The only other example I recalls comes courtesy of my friend and former colleague, Pete Dougherty, who recounted to me the story of a Navy officer who couldn’t swim. I can’t remember the gentleman’s name.

Jim from Oakland, CA

It's refreshing to see packers.com honoring the US women's World Cup victory! I respect Vic's football insights and still read his column, but his disrespect for the great sport of soccer is downright embarrassing and was a black eye to this website. Thank you, Wes and Spoff!

As someone who gets his heart broken every four years when the U.S. men’s team plays in the World Cup, I fully intend to enjoy and celebrate the women’s back-to-back titles. I apologize for nothing.

Matthias from Hartford, WI

Are you surprised or not that Mike McCarthy is not coaching at any level this season?

Not at all. He’s been coaching nonstop for 30 years. I don’t blame him for taking a year off to recharge. I would do the same if it wouldn’t leave me broke in three weeks.

Doug from Unity, NH

3:23 a.m.? Don't you know NOTHING any good EVER happens at 3:23 a.m.?

It’s 3:23 a.m. I must be lonely.