Inbox: That’s why we’re all here

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
tcx8yqqbjpmh37nl86bj

Steve from Green Bay, WI

With the Packers adding talent in FA and the upcoming draft it is an exciting time of the year. If the four recent FA signings were put into the 2019 draft and knowing what type of players they are, what round do each of them get drafted in next week ?

They’d probably all be first- or second-round picks. The funny thing about re-drafts is 256-player classes are never as deep as you might think.

Bob from Racine, WI

In the period for which you've been writing for the Pack, do you recall any player drafted by any team who refused to go to that team? What would be the ramifications for the player and the team if such an event happened?

It’s happened a few times. There was John Elway and Jim Kelly in 1983, and Bo Jackson in 1986. But the most recent example I could think of was Eli Manning in 2004. The Chargers had some tough negotiations with Joey Bosa, but he eventually signed and reported.

Craig from Milwaukee, WI

What are your thoughts on if the Packers will trade up or down in the draft?

As I’ve said all along, I’m cool with Brian Gutekunst moving up if there’s a player he cannot live without. At the same time, I’m more interested in how things look when No. 12 goes on the clock. I still think two QBs come off the board before then and a top 10 talent falls into the Packers’ lap.

Ron from Kimberly, WI

Do college coaches contact a team (or teams) about a player they think might be getting overlooked in the draft process?

Without question. It’s a scout’s job to cultivate those relationships and find diamonds in the rough. The Packers didn’t sign Tim Boyle last year because of his passer rating. They brought him in because of his talent.

Joe from Liberty Township, OH

Lots of angst over the Packers hosting Drew Lock but I see it as due diligence. If he's truly the BAP when the Packers pick at either No. 12 or 30, it's a big risk to pass on him. Just ask Cowboys fans about passing on a QB the front office viewed as BAP when their pick came up in the third round in 1979. They still had 37-year-old Roger Staubach, Danny White, and Glenn Carano. So they passed on the QB for TE Doug Cobie. Six picks later, the 49ers drafted Joe Montana.

There’s a big, big difference, though, between taking a QB in the third round as opposed to using one of your two first-rounders on one. Gutekunst is performing his due diligence. We’ll see where the draft takes us, but I’m keeping this in the “baloney” drawer until proven otherwise.

Bob from Cortez, CO

When will “Four Things” start?

We’re going to stick to the “Three Things” format for the time being, with Spoff and me platooning with Larry and John. Larry, John and I shot a video after the schedule was announced last night. The cast will be a bit more fluid in the future, but the goal right now is to get John in the mix.

Jon from Collinsville, IL

Can John Kuhn PLEASE respond to questions in the Insider Inbox? Responding to questions at least once a week would be OK as a start.

You’ll hear no complaints from me.

Mark from Sturgeon Bay, WI

Regarding cap space avail and extending contracts for vets, how much space does a team keep in order to sign replacements for injuries? Also, isn't there a point where someone on the final 53 at the start of the season has his salary guaranteed, giving the team less flexibility in staying under the cap?

Most teams in good standing keep around $7-8 million available. That keeps most teams above that 90-percent minimum rule over a three-year period. There’s also flexibility to carry cap space over if nothing develops.

David from Janesville, WI

I don't recall what your best hit rate was with Prospect Primer candidates the Packers have drafted, but if you could pick up the pace and spit out another 300 or so by next Thursday I think you can beat it.

Now, that wouldn’t be nearly as fun. But it is pretty cool looking back and seeing a Primer on a guy like Davante Adams who went on to become a two-time Pro Bowler.