Inbox: The answers are never simple

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
l6cqh6lncojyd4qyqigc

Jess from Little Chute, WI

I see a lot of negativity and pessimism from people, it's kind of disheartening. I think these are the same people thinking the team wouldn't win more than eight games this season. All of a sudden the team is in the playoffs and that still isn't good enough? Come on. Taking MANY steps in the right direction on an offseason retool was a success. When will people learn that placing expectations on things out of their control is a fool's errand? Same process, same results for these "fans."

From riding high to crashing hard. It's baked into the playoff pastry. (Yikes, now I'm starting to sound like Wes.) A 13-3 team's season ended two weeks before Green Bay's. A 14-2 team's, one week before. One of two fan bases still riding high is going to crash even harder the night of Feb. 2. Perspective matters.

Tyler from Fargo, ND

Compared to the Pack, the Ravens won more games, had 10 more first-selection Pro Bowl players and likely league MVP, and were considered by many to be the favorite to win it all. A No. 6 seed convincingly beat them in their only playoff game. That provides some perspective on the Packers season. I love this game.

There's that word again.

Al from Green Bay, WI

It wouldn't have mattered … but I was hoping Green Bay would go for it on fourth-and-1 at midfield on the first possession. Isn't it necessary to take a couple extra chances against an opponent as talented as SF?

A popular thought. Down 10-0 in the second quarter of the Week 12 game, the Packers went for it on fourth-and-1 from the SF 28, got stuffed, and never recovered. In a scoreless game when the defense began with a three-and-out, the decision made sense to me.

Drew from Vincennes, IN

While I'm disappointed as a Packers fan, I might be more disappointed as a general sports fan because of all the great storylines for a Packers-Chiefs Super Bowl. What would've been the most fun to write about – repeat of the first Super Bowl for the NFL's 100th season, Andy Reid coaching against the team that gave him his NFL start, rookie vs. veteran coach, one of the last remaining old guard QBs vs. one of the new superstars?

Five years ago, the sport was robbed of a Rodgers-Brady Super Bowl, and this year the Rodgers-Mahomes regular-season matchup was unfortunately taken away, and we have to wait until 2023 for the next one. I hope we're talking about those two meeting for all the marbles before then.

Mark from Newcastle, UK

I know this is a tough game for tough guys, but one of the greatest things about this season has been the team spirit and unity. Which has made me consider the end-of-season routine for the squad. Why do the players have to clear their lockers out immediately after getting knocked out? It seems pretty brutal. I'm not saying there should be a weeklong session of cuddles but it just feels quite severe! I'm sure there is a rationale for it but wondered if you had any insight.

After the long and exhausting grind, players and coaches cherish any break they can get, and I don't blame them for not wanting to wait around to take it. The immediate scheduling of equipment inventory, exit interviews, etc., isn't mean to be harsh. It's a courtesy to everyone involved, frankly.

Col from Ludlow, UK

Having drafted 10 top-notch wide receivers since and including Sterling Sharpe in '88, with two being first-rounders, four second, three third and Driver in the seventh, you clearly don't need to find one each draft. Having said that, Davante Adams was the last in '14. A first-round pick clearly isn't essential, but do you see a higher priority need in this year's draft? Also, thanks to both of you, the team, and the wider organization for another highly entertaining year.

Wes and I discussed this yesterday on "Unscripted." It's definitely time to find a highly talented pick who can come in and learn the game by following Adams' lead, just as Jennings and Jones followed Driver's, Nelson followed Jennings', Cobb followed Nelson's, and Adams followed Nelson's and Cobb's. Allen Lazard, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Jake Kumerow and Equanimeous St. Brown are not finished products by any means, but the pipeline needs a new prime prospect.

Garrett from Oro Valley, AZ

"The Packers aren't in a position to sign four marquee free agents like they did last year, but they have enough room to make another potential splash if the right player is available." What position would you target for this one splash? DL to help stop the run, MLB who can stuff the run and cover, or WR to complement Adams for another offensive threat? Or elsewhere?

Let's see what the market looks like in March. If I'm Gutekunst and I've got one big move to make, I'm not going to target a spot. I'm going to target the right player.

Rod from Chugiak, AK

Our GM's performance so far produces optimism he'll make great moves to "close the gap." Reeling in San Francisco by elevating our own roster most excites me. At the same time I can't help hoping opposition built upon a five-year run of failure resulting in high draft picks cannot stay up in that rarefied air. Seattle had Wilson's cheap rookie contract helping them keep their Super Bowl teams together. With an expensive QB, how does the 49ers' dominating roster look like for sustainability?

They'll have a harder time keeping their defense together than their offense from what I can tell. They have Armstead and Ward to deal with this year, then six other starters from the 2019 defense heading into contract years in 2020 (Sherman, Tartt, Buckner, Williams, Witherspoon, Jones).