Inbox: The approach has worked

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
i5pavlplq2ckxpdqgqsi

Peter from Wellington, New Zealand

Hey guys, thanks for keeping us entertained during the offseason. Do you think Tae would have a legitimate shot at MVP if he plays all 17 games and is even just slightly better than 2020? I would like to see the award go to someone other than a QB for once. Cheers!

Good question. History says no, unless maybe he were to have more than half of Rodgers' TDs in a big season. Back in 2007, when Tom Brady set the (then) NFL record with 50 TD passes, Randy Moss set the TD catches record with 23, but the MVP went to Brady. Going back further, Jerry Rice set the previous TD receptions record with 22 in 1987 (in 12 games, due to replacement players), and the MVP went to John Elway. If Adams hits 20 TDs, Rodgers has 40 or fewer, the Packers are a top contender, and no one else breaks any longstanding records, I'd say perhaps.

Wes from South St. Paul, MN

Mike/Wes, with the Packers obvious needs at CB, OL, DL and ILB it is interesting to see the talking heads still preaching about the need to WR with some mocks having the Packers taking a WR in the first round. With the defensive needs and OL my over/under for a WR is fifth round. Any thoughts?

I could see the Packers taking a receiver much earlier than that.

Alex from Kentwood, MI

In response to Doug from Neenah's question, didn't we trade Lenzy Pipkins for Antonio Morrison straight up a couple of years ago before the regular season started?

Yes, during training camp in 2018, you're correct. I guess that trade wasn't considered significant enough to make the historical list in the media guide.

Mike from Eau Claire, WI

Spoff, could you give us any info on Barry as it relates to preparing his scheme and his style between now and the preseason? I'm not talking about giving away secrets but general preparation. How does he "get to know" his defense and how does he communicate his philosophy to other coordinators and his defense?

He gets to know his players by watching their film and projecting what they'll do best. Then there are two steps to the installation of the playbook – the classroom and the practice field. Communicating the scheme and assignments starts in the classroom. Then on the field he'll figure out how accurate his projections were about his players, and adjust from there.

Matthias from San Antonio, TX

Reading of the passing of William Mack threw my mind to Vince Papale for the Eagles: 30-year-old special-teams ace who didn't play college ball, walking onto an Eagles team in the '80s (I know Disney romanticized it a bit, be it that he was a pro with the Philadelphia Bell before he was an Eagle). Any stories that might be similar to Papale in Green Bay? Or elsewhere in pro sports?

I know a guy who was a chemistry major at a small Division II school in Pennsylvania who went undrafted, latched onto the practice squad of his home-state Steelers, won a Super Bowl ring, was claimed off waivers by the Packers, won another ring, got three Pro Bowl nods, two All-Pro selections, and had 80,000 people in Lambeau Field chanting his name all the time. I'd say that's a pretty good story.