Inbox: The coaches have confirmed that

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
nh2mxkhqrylm4kyc7fuz

Jacob from Portage, WI

Regarding Richard from Greenwich's comment on players raising the standard of others' performance. There is actually a name for it: the Pygmalion effect. It essentially states that your perception of an individual's ability can have an effect on their outcomes.

I clearly need to brush up on my Greek mythology.

Robert from Verona, WI

How do coaches evaluate a player's performance on a play that was successful due to the opposition's mistake? Say that Bob Tonyan is wide open because the defense didn't pick him up and scores a touchdown – how much "credit" does he get? He ran the right route and caught the ball (two important things), but since there are a lot of guys at the NFL level who could do those things (compared to catching a heavily contested ball or picking up a blitz), do they place much weight on a play like that?

Not really. He'd get credit for executing properly, as he should, but the type of play you describe would not get an extra star or anything on the grade sheet.

Derek from Norton, KS

Summer conditioning was always voluntary when I was in high school, but it definitely had an impact on playing time. Is there language in the labor contract that prevents teams from penalizing individuals that don't attend "voluntary" workouts?

Not specifically, but the desire to win prevents it. You don't win in this league unless the best players play, and if a player proves he's in that category in training camp, any voluntary workouts he missed don't matter.

Kenneth from Hartford, WI

Could the Packers choose a forward-looking uniform design as their alternative instead of always going retro?

There's more than a century's worth of history to celebrate here, and not many teams can say so. I'm fine with leaving futuristic duds to those franchises with far less to commemorate.

Pete from Chippewa Falls, WI

Do the Packers have a policy of always fining players for missing mandatory minicamp? When was the last time the team fined a player for training camp absences? Do you think the front office would fine Rodgers for missing the mandatory minicamp (if that happens)? Or will they let it go because they don't want to tick Rodgers off even more than he already is at the front office? I would think they would not want to rock the boat any more than it already is.

It's not a Packers policy, it's a league-wide policy the owners and players agreed to in collective bargaining. Fines for missing minicamp and/or training camp are mandated by the CBA and cannot be rescinded.

Eric from Erie, PA

If you could have one position group be the No. 1 unit in the league, which position group would you choose?

I'm debating between the offensive and defensive lines, and forced to pick one, I'm leaning defense because it gives a team so many options schematically.

Bernardo from Trinidad, Brazil

So in two drafts we got Jon Runyan, Simon Stepaniak, Jake Hanson, Josh Myers, Cole Van Lanen and Royce Newman. Do you think that the future of our offensive line will be about those guys?

Some of them, sure. But the way things go in this league, I'd predict that by the start of the 2022 season, at least two if not three of those guys won't be here any longer. That's not a knock on anyone, just reality.