Inbox: The collective performance could serve as a launching point

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
m0tpcfpbgopoccoak8ul

Terry from Springfield, MO

In regards to yesterday's II comment and JC Tretter calling for an end to turf fields, when do you think a team will try natural grass in a dome? Or why hasn't it happened yet? Outdoor stadiums have complete environmental infrastructures under their fields that can be re-created indoors. With the advances in indoor hydroponics, grow lights are a very efficient and affordable alternative to natural light. I really can't see why it hasn't been done yet.

Perhaps it will. Tretter's call should prompt the league and union to partner on a way to figure this out, with investments made by both sides. It would be money well spent.

Dan from Kenosha, WI

Mike, after watching Aaron Rodgers's video my only thought was "I would love to be his teammate." His explanation of trust and how it is gained not only answered the question about Shep but also explained why he goes back to Marquez Valdes-Scantling or Jace Sternberger. No empty platitudes. Just insightful and thoughtful responses. I have a new appreciation for him.

Just listening to him I learn so much about both the human and X's/O's sides to this game. He makes the media smarter and, in turn, the fans smarter. There aren't many players who can do that.

Mark from Pittsfield, MA

No question, just a thought. Aaron Rodgers' memory in interviews always astounds me. I'm around his age and can barely remember what I did yesterday. And he's vividly recalling plays from 10 years ago. Just amazing.

There aren't many who can do that, either.

Jason from Portsmouth, UK

Hi guys, so far in these first three games of the season it's refreshing to see different players or position groups step up on both sides of the ball. So with that said, what's your take on who or what group is going to make a difference come MNF?

I know LaFleur's game plans can be week-to-week and opponent specific. But in light of Lazard's injury, I'm very curious to see if the tight ends' collective performance – nine catches for 104 yards and two TDs last week – could serve as a launching point for the position group, especially when Josiah Deguara returns and they have four they're comfortable using liberally.

Jack from Black Mountain, NC

Two night games in a row: Sunday and Monday. Has that ever happened before? What impact of night games on the players' body clocks?

It won't have much impact with the bye week to follow in this instance, but it happens all the time. The Packers played consecutive night games in 2012, '13, '15, '16 and '18.

Bill from Wilmington, DE

Mike, what is your take on a Week 5 bye?

It certainly feels too early, and playing 12 straight – plus hopefully playoffs, with the bye so much harder to get now – will be a tough task. But regardless of Monday night's result, the benefit will be the opportunity to gear up for these next four (three on the road), which conclude on a Thursday night, so there's a mini-bye at the midpoint.

Neil from Turnbridge Wells, UK

With the Packers being a community team the loss of gameday revenue, due to no fans, will obviously affect the local area. Is the NFL doing anything to help the team financially in this matter above the normal revenue sharing?

The franchise will be fine. It's not the ideal situation, clearly, but the corporate reserve fund exists specifically for unforeseen situations like this (and gratefully keeps me employed). The real damage is to the local economy, and the NFL can't do anything about that. It's hard to know what the local landscape will look like when football as we prefer it returns, whenever that is. I feel for the businesses and employees affected so harshly.

Kirsten from Madison, WI

When an injury causes a player to leave the game, how much does the game plan shift to accommodate the replacement player's skills (or lack thereof)? Is the plan the plan, and he's simply expected to do the job assigned to his position? Or does LaFleur think, "Well, X isn't as fast as Y, so I need to call this other play instead?"

This is an oversimplification, but think of game plans as having two major components – concepts the coaches believe are the best with which to attack the defense, and specific plays designed for specific players based on matchups. The latter usually get thrown out when a player goes down, making the former the foundation so there's no desperation or head-scratching in how to adjust.