Inbox: The competitive level is through the roof

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
w4ndnluqcuha5sugz6ri

Barbara from Duluth, MN

How can the NFL defend its "race-norming practice" in relation to brain injuries? To require a lawsuit to correct this seems unconscionable.

I would agree, and the league took too long to come around on this one and see the whole picture. Better late than never, I guess.

Levi from St. Paul, MN

This team looks to be extremely deep and talented making the AR situation even more frustrating. I really hope they can work things out because this team has the potential to be great with AR under center. Is it as frustrating for you both to have to answer so many questions about the situation as it is for us fans to have to ask about it? I'll cheer for whoever is QB and will try not to dwell on what could be, but I'm upset with the whole thing. What percentage of posts are for/against AR?

I'm not keeping a tally.

Doug from Union Grove, WI

Michael, if it wasn't for the elephant in the room, what would be the No. 1 thing we'd be grumbling about?

Probably that over the past three years, the Packers have drafted only two defensive linemen, and none earlier than the fifth round. It is a tad startling, even as much as the run defense improved last year from late November on.

Caleb from Milwaukee, WI

Could you please expound on why you believe JK Scott will be the most improved player this year?

I thought that was a good call by Wes. Scott has all the talent anyone could ask for, and he's had really good stretches in his young career. He just hasn't put it all together for a whole season. All the ups and downs he's been through to this point, combined with the change in coordinators, might point to this being the time.

Keith from Yorktown, VA

No offense to JK Scott, but is him being the most improved player enough for the Packers to make the next step?

Probably not, because as much as the special teams struggled last season, the Packers were still the NFC's No. 1 seed and that phase did not cost them the final game. But Scott, much like Amari Rodgers as a returner, can have a huge impact on the special teams getting where they need to be.

Jeff from Sioux Falls, SD

Last year, the limited practices and no preseason games were deemed a success by the NFLPA and will surely be bargained for in the next contract. What else do you see the players union trying to get included into their next contract? Conversely, what "chips" will the owners deem necessary to keep them satisfied?

The current CBA goes through this decade, so it's not even on my radar. A lot is going to change between now and when negotiations on the next CBA begin in earnest.

Brian from Rochester, NY

To piggyback off the Kylin Hill idea of playing that jet sweep role…when Tyler Ervin missed time in the past, it was clear we were missing something. I think it would also be beneficial to have depth for that role so we don't have to throw someone out there that isn't well suited for it. It still makes me cringe when Geronimo Allison was taking on jet sweeps and WR screens.

It's been an ongoing process of exploration in LaFleur's first two seasons to find guys who truly fit the role and can make a difference in the offense. I could see Hill getting a try there in training camp and the preseason as another option behind Amari Rodgers. With both players, though, there's a lot of playbook to absorb and they'll have to prove they can handle it.