Inbox: The definition of the position has evolved

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
e09n3iz45jaosywezv0l

Chris from River Falls, WI

What is our largest remaining weakness after the draft?

There aren't many glaring holes other than finding a No. 3 quarterback. An argument could be made for another defensive lineman or inside linebacker but the Packers have a lot of options.

Tony from Chanhassen, MN

What are the chances Yosh Nijman starts the opener? Seems a bit overlooked in the offseason.

*I don't know whether Yosh Nijman will be starting at tackle in Week 1, but with all this talk about the six offensive linemen the Packers have drafted the past two years, don't sleep on the former undrafted free agent. Green Bay has invested a lot of time and energy into Nijman's development – and for good reason. He's another one to watch. *

Ethan from Germantown, IL

Good morning Insiders! Not a question but just wanted to say how happy I️ am that my buddy Royce Newman got drafted by us.

Nathan from Philadelphia, PA

If you had to pick one city for the Packers to play a primetime road game this season, where would it be?

If I'm covering the game in-person, it's absolutely, positively New Orleans. NOLA is in my top three of favorite cities to cover an NFL game and it was disappointing not being able to make the trip last year.

Steve from Wichita, KS

As much as it would sting to see Rodgers play in a different uniform, this team and organization has never been about one player. Yes, if AR12 is gone, there will be growing pains but look at this roster. Solid top to bottom.

I've said it since the morning after the Packers re-signed Aaron Jones – this team is built to compete to win a championship in 2021. Again, I get why the relationship between Rodgers and the organization is a story, but there's very little that can be added to that discussion right now. And most who have tried over the past few days have either A) been incorrect in their reporting or B) contributed nothing constructive to the conversation. Personally, I have June 8 circled on my calendar. Because until mandatory minicamp begins, this is all speculation and innuendo in my mind.

Steve from Land O' Lakes, FL

Over the past few years, it seems going "all in" for GB has been to surround AR with a quality player or players. Now it seems like going all in for GB would be to do whatever it takes to keep AR. Does it feel like that to you? It was tough being a GB fan in the '70s and '80s, but I'm still here no matter what happens to AR.

Like I said last month, the Packers feel like they're close. They wouldn't have brought back as many veterans as they did if they didn't feel like the development of young players and a strong draft class weren't enough to put them over the top. Rodgers is the kingpin, though. To steal a phrase from UFC announcer Jon Anik, Rodgers is the man for whom this card has been built. The Packers need him. They need his talent. They need his voice. They need his leadership. I'll keep saying that until No. 12 is no longer on the roster. Because it's the truth.

Mick from Decatur, IL

Do you think the voluntary minicamp on May 24-25 and 27 will tell us anything about Rodgers' intent?

No. Not this year with all the veterans, leaguewide, who may sit out of the voluntary portion of the offseason program. That's why I have June 8 circled and not May 24.