Inbox: The film shows they're not

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
rs7rzeupw8yua9firbmb

Matt from Minneapolis, MN

Although the Insider Inbox delivers great content, how much better could it be if the writers were chosen in the first round?

I put this first just so Wes gets to scream in all caps some more tomorrow. You're welcome.

Michael from Morrison, IL

Alright Mike/Wes, while the win in New Orleans was great, it's time to look ahead. What does Atlanta do well that could cause matchup problems come Monday night?

We'll see what the news is on Julio Jones and his hamstring later this week, but Calvin Ridley is a tough matchup for anyone. His 349 receiving yards through three games ranks second in the league to DeAndre Hopkins' 356, and his four TDs are tied for first with Tyler Lockett. These guys have scored 90 points in three games without a win. They're capable of outscoring anybody.

Za from Milwaukee, WI

Our next upcoming game with the Falcons is feeling like a total trap game for me. They are 0-3 but they've been very competitive all those games. I feel like their season (and coach's job) is on the line and they are going to come out hard against the Packers to redeem themselves on that national Monday night stage. Is this feeling like a trap game to you?

I don't buy into trap games. It's only a trap game if you believe the Falcons' 0-3 record means they're a bad team. The film shows they're not. That's what the players will be focused on.

Rob from Hull, UK

Did anyone foresee the NFC South being 2-6 outside its own division after Week 3? Four good teams with quality QBs. I feel like the Falcons are not an 0-3 quality team, but they are a very dangerous team who have to start winning now.

I would anticipate the NFC South turning that trend around soon enough, but I'm fine if it waits another week.

Nick from Springfield, IL

Loved the Rock Report on the "best play ever." D coordinators will obviously make adjustments to slow the play by having the end man on the line of scrimmage jam the TE crossing the formation, much like jamming a pulling guard. I guess my question is how does LaFleur counter that?

I'm no X's and O's expert, but my guess is he could turn the play-action start into a read-option look for the QB, and if the end commits to jamming the crossing TE as you say, put the ball into the RB's belly and he's got a huge cutback lane. Or you send the TE in motion before the snap so he gets out earlier, and if the defense commits a cover man to him, that's one less for the intermediate and deep routes that are flooding that side. Watch the video again and I think you'll see what I mean.

Darrell from San Antonio, TX

Now that Tennessee has had positive tests come back and suspended operations, causing Minnesota to shut down, if those two teams can't play games on Sunday what happens? Will they just forfeit those games seeing how it's almost impossible to make them up? The NFL has a small window to reschedule unlike MLB where doubleheaders were played to make up games. It will be interesting to see how the league reacts, especially if someone was at the club and brought the mess back to their teammates.

I honestly can't answer any of those questions. We just have to see what happens from here. The league had protocols in place designed to isolate any potential outbreaks as quickly as possible and minimize the fallout. We will soon find out how well they work.

Bones from Ripon, WI

How in the world are the Green Bay Packers going to be able to stay COVID-free with Wisconsin in general and Brown County specifically literally blowing up with positive cases? What a shame it would be to have any player miss games now after such a fantastic start. I'm more than peeved by the willful negligence of folks in our state concerning the virus. You can leave that last sentence out if that's too politically charged.

No, I won't, because it doesn't have to be this way, and saying so isn't political. Others' willful negligence can negatively impact those taking precautions and therefore create the potential for significant complications to be thrust into what appears to be a promising Packers season. Location/concentration data show this team is at the largest risk of any in the NFL.

Mary from Billings, MT

With the Packers' bye week coming Week 5, what are the Packers' plans for the week off? Do they allow to let the players leave town or keep them around the facility to reduce the risk of COVID-19?

I don't know, but I'm sure LaFleur will be asked about it this week. Stay tuned.