Inbox: The goal hasn't changed

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
fh855cgxhw8ymptv4mgk

Steven from Silver Spring, MD

In grading our defense, PFF stats showed the Vikings got two-thirds of their yards after first contact. Is the issue really the scheme/coaching/adjustments-in-game or do we simply need to tackle better and this whole conversation about defensive philosophy would be rendered moot? We are not the only defense to play pass first and the current NFC frontrunner, SEA, has an even worse defense than us as measured by almost every counting stat.

Adrian Amos touched it after the game – there were too many one-on-one situations in open space. Sound fundamentals can still help a defender win but the job of tacklers is so much easier when there are multiple players converging to the ball carrier. Missed tackles lead to missed opportunities and the Vikings made Green Bay pay.

Don from Glendale, AZ

The coach said it regarding the lack of energy the team showed. Paraphrasing: Without the fans, the players need to find a way to energize themselves.

Players gotta bring their own juice without fans, especially on the defensive side of the ball, and they gotta do it every week. But what's strange, much like in Tampa, is the Packers started the game fine. They just haven't sustained, or built, any momentum on either side of the ball in Q2.

Kenton from Rochester, MN

Tough loss for the Pack. Of all the things that could have changed the outcome, do you think perhaps the lack of fans at Lambeau could have been a factor? Rodgers talked about not feeling much energy and LaFleur hinted about lack of "juice." Is that something a crowd can give the home team? I can't help thinking that had there been a typical Packers crowd, we would have seen a little more team mojo.

I'm not saying it would've changed the outcome – because Minnesota played a heck of a game – but it would've been interesting to hear the crowd in the fourth quarter when the Packers began to mount their comeback. But every team is (mostly) dealing with the same circumstances right now. You gotta rise above it.

Jim from McLean, VA

I'm not saying the loss to the Vikings wasn't disheartening – it was – but divisional games are the toughest for a reason. The ML Packers are 8-1 in the division. You can't win them all, can you?

As long as the Packers take care of business against Chicago and Detroit, everything lines up well for LaFleur's crew during the second half of the season.

Scott from De Pere, WI

II, the Packers' defense has created four turnovers all year. I wouldn't have guessed that after seven games. Is there another stat that you are surprised with so far?

Red-zone defense…which kind of plays into the low number of takeaways. The Packers were stout in the red area last year (tied for sixth at 50%). They're 28th this year with opposition scoring TDs at a 73.9% clip.

Jerry from Allouez, WI

Stopping the run is important, but they need to figure out how to attack this two-high shell defense. After Tampa and Minnesota used it successfully, there will be more of it until they beat it.

And you know how you break the two-shell? Running the football and forcing defenses to drop their strong safety into the box. Bill Huber had a good question to Rodgers after the game – are there any problems with this offense that can't be fixed by the return of Aaron Jones (and Allen Lazard)? The Packers need their starting running back…back.

Jordan from Virginia Beach, VA

In a game that can be won on one or two plays, why wasn't the time after the catch to Robert Tonyan looked at? After being tackled in bounds, he got up quickly and tried to get the ball to the ref. The Vikings defender was blocking his path and even knocked the ball out of his hands. Is there anything that could have been done about that with it being so obvious? It cost Rodgers two snaps within striking distance.

I parsed my words in real time but I can say confidently upon re-watching the game that Alex Kemp's officiating crew had a rough day. Not only did they miss Jeff Gladney grabbing the inside of Tonyan's helmet during the tackle, they also failed to recognize the Vikings cornerback knocking the ball away from Tonyan when he's trying to hand it to the official, which could have been delay of game. Now some might say both of those are ticky-tack calls, but considering how ticky-tack Kemp's crew officiated the game – until it decided not to, of course – a flag may have been justified. Listen, I've felt there have been some really strong performances by crews officiating Packers games this year. Sunday was not one of them.