Inbox: The memories make it all worth it

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
fyjrskhaojt60shmqlms

6) How did you become a Packers fan?

Lori from Brookfield, WI

I became a Packers fan for two reasons. 1. My Dad was a Green Bay fan and it was a way to relate to him. 2. As a child, I was allowed to watch 1 hour of TV each day or a complete football game. I did the math.

Bill from Eagle Lake, MN

The 1960 Eagles-Packers Championship game and I'm 9 years old. We didn't have a TV so my dad took me the see game, over my mother’s objections, at the bar my aunt and uncle owned. His reasoning was that they had been bad for so long that this would probably be my one chance to see to see them in a championship game. That was seven championships ago.

Dean from Leavenworth, IN

I was born in Milwaukee in 1951 and my dad was a fan. When I was in grade school in Muskego my uncle lived about a mile away and had two season tickets to games in Milwaukee. My aunt was strictly a fair weather fan, so if the weather was bad her response was call Dean, he'll go. When I was in fourth grade some Packers were playing some of the local faculty at Muskego High and during halftime my little league team played and after I got to meet players in the locker room.

Ben from Manchester, UK

I became a Packers fan during the 2016 "Run the table" season. I knew very little of the NFL up until then, but that happened to be the season I started to take an interest. I remember exactly where I was when Rodgers made that statement and thinking "Yeah, right." Fast forward a few weeks to me celebrating wildly after Mason Crosby's kick against Dallas and I knew then I would always be a Packers fan.

Dave from Gainesville, VA

I became a Packer fan almost by accident. Growing up in Central NY, I was subjected to almost exclusively the old NFC East and AFC East games, so was almost a Dolphins fan. When I entered kindergarten, I met a distant cousin who had a Packers player poster on his wall. I immediately loved the uniforms and the rest is history – 47 years’ worth.

Dennis from Wisconsin Rapids, WI

I came to Wisconsin in 1981 to visit my sister when I got out of the Navy. I’m originally from Iowa, where there isn’t an NFL team. I didn't even follow football. Seeing how excited my sister got during Packers games got me hooked. (Side note: Bart Starr was the head coach. I met him shortly after moving here but didn't know who he was. He came as advertised - a real gentleman).

Vincent from Sioux Falls, SD

The first NFL game I ever watched was in 1966 when I was a mere 6 years old. I was at Grandma's for Thanksgiving and was very bored, so I went upstairs in the attic where my Grandpa had a cot and a small black-and-white TV. I started watching a football game and I noticed the quarterback for one of the teams name was “Bart Starr.” Wow, what a cool name! He must be a Starr! I’ve been fan ever since.

David from Greeneville, TN

Wes, I want to thank you and Spoff for your efforts and wish you a Happy Fourth. How did I become a fan? Simple. In 1971 when I was six years old living in South Carolina, I received a pair of Green Bay Packers pajamas for Christmas. That gift sparked an interest in the team. I grew up to buy a share of stock, a customized jersey, and a Vince Lombardi lunchbox (in that order). I wish I still had those pajamas. We never know how much fruit will grow from one tiny seed.

Bret from Sycamore, IL

Watching Don Majkowski and the Cardiac-Pack made me a Packers fan. What an exciting season to watch, without making the playoffs. That season, and the instant replay game, are what made me a Packers fan. Watching the next two quarterbacks has been enjoyable also.

Sean from Aubrey, TX

What day did I become a Packers fan? That's easy, it was September 20, 1992. It was my seventh birthday and the game that happened to be on was the Packers vs. Bengals. Halfway through the game the GB QB got hurt and a young man by the name of Brett Favre came in. The rest is history. One year to the day on my eighth birthday, I got what would be my first of many Favre jerseys. Twenty five years later to the day on September 20, 2017, I passed that exact jersey onto my oldest daughter. It was a special day.

Michael from Berrien Springs, MI

Packer-backing is in my blood. My grandfather was Curly Lambeau's first cousin and played on the early sandlot teams. We stayed at St. Norbert during training camp. We shagged balls, got water, and answered phone calls for the players (women were calling for Paul Hornung all hours). We became honorary rookies and had to sing in front of the team. In college, I worked for Bart Starr. I have so much more detail but no space!

Chris from Titusville, FL

How did I become a Packer fan? Well, my father was a Packers fan. He was born in 1948, and when I asked him how he became a Packer fan, he said that back in the early 60s you really only got to see a couple teams on TV. He chose the Green Bay Packers. Fast forward to 2010 and I found a bunch of half siblings of my dad's. They live in Wisconsin. It was thanks to them that we not only discovered family, but also got to finally see Lambeau Field for the first time and do it together. A great memory (And the memories make it all worth it).

HAVE A QUESTION?