Inbox: The Packers reserve that honor

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
vvkfcmdbed1jdkdbic4n

Brandon from Imperial, MO

Good morning, I know you've said the Packers are in the hunt for the draft in 2024, but with Covid shutting down live drafts do you think that will "bump" the cities that are currently scheduled into the subsequent year? Could the NFL possibly move those cities to the back of the line to not interrupt the scheduling and accommodations being prepared for a particular year's draft?

Great questions, and worth keeping an eye on for sure. In 2019, the league awarded Cleveland and Kansas City the '21 and '23 drafts, respectively. Then last year when Vegas lost its scheduled hosting, it was pegged for '22, which was open. Nothing else has been announced or determined, so stay tuned I guess.

Eric from Glyndon, MN

The resumption of the International Series will depend upon *gestures broadly*, but the Packers remain the only team not to have played in London, and Green Bay hosting the draft remains a real possibility. Is there any chance that the league would predicate awarding a draft to GB upon agreeing to give up a home game for one in the UK? If you're Mark Murphy, is that a deal that you would be willing to make?

Wow, I hadn't thought about it in those terms. It would not be Murphy's preference, certainly, but it's an interesting scenario with a ninth regular-season home game every other year soon to begin. Then again, the local economy just got clobbered by the pandemic season without fans, so he may be even more adamant about his longstanding pledge to not give up a home game. I don't want to put words in Mark's mouth, so I suggest you submit this to Murphy Takes Five.

Shannon from Ovilla, TX

Spoff, I know you are like most of us in your sports fandom. As a Packers, UW, Bucks, Brewers fan I feel like most of the II is with me in overall frustration that our teams come so close without winning a championship in the past 10 years. A national title game loss, two NLCS as the higher seed, two best-in-NBA records, four NFCCG losses. All of these with an MVP or national player of the year as well. Seems like we are continually looking for someone to blame.

The frustration is understandable and the desire to blame someone natural. Six of the nine close calls you referenced were really, painfully close in my book. It's a vastly unsatisfying thing to say, but that's sports, man. Call it my own twist on "don't hate the player, hate the game." As a fan, I wouldn't make a trade for one championship if it meant the other five (or eight) were ho-hum seasons.

Andy from Minneapolis, MN

This time of year for the NFL is just all speculation so why waste time asking a question about what should the Packers do? So with that I want to learn more about Mike. With all the forms of media you guys do for the Packers like the Inbox, longform stories and videos, what is your favorite one to do? How have you adapted over the years to the ever-changing media world? Must feel something like being a jack-of-all-trades and a master of none?

I consider myself first and foremost a writer, and at different times in my career that's meant hard news delivery, feature storytelling, fan interaction, analysis, and editorializing. I've appreciated the opportunity this job has given me to branch out more into the latter two in recent years, but I still enjoy them all. The biggest adjustment was when all the on-camera duties started, and they've increased along the way. It's been fun to be challenged and to expand skills, but I'll always take more personal pride in what I write than any words I say on camera.

Kyle from Wallingford, PA

For Curt from Algonquin, I do have a couple of important dates. March 18 is the start of "Why didn't we sign player X?" and April 30 starts "Why didn't we draft player Y?" submissions. Please mark your calendars accordingly.

Happy Friday.

HAVE A QUESTION?