Inbox: The Packers want to take care of their own

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
axwkuprhorkgs0e8fdqb

Andrew from New York, NY

Will the increase in roster spots be detrimental to teams that draft towards the end of each round (specifically pick 30)? Will it be detrimental to teams who struggle attract undrafted players?

I don't think so. There are NFL-caliber players on virtually every practice squad. If anything, I think it gives those individuals more tools and resources to "make it" in the league because teams can be more patient with their development. Additionally, I don't see what draft position would have to do with it.

John from Evans, GA

All this talk needing a WR in the draft and FA but no one is talking about Brian Gutekunst signing one of the best WRs in the CFL. I didn't know anything about Reggie Begelton until we signed him but I can definitely see why after watching some highlights. Any plans for a story so we can get to know a little more about the guy I feel we will all be talking about after the preseason?

He's one of the new guys I'll be watching this spring. While Begelton is 26, I believe he's still eligible to participate in the rookie minicamp so he should get some pub that weekend. His CFL credentials (102 catches for 1,444 yards and 10 touchdowns in 2019) validate the Packers taking a look.

Paul from De Pere, WI

As far as Wisconsin RBs in the NFL, who were the hits and who were the misses? All in all, I would imagine the Badgers compare favorably to other Power Five schools in producing RBs that play on Sundays. Do we include FBs in the discussion?

I have James White, Melvin Gordon, Derek Watt in the "hit" range, and Montee Ball and Brian Calhoun as misses. Ron Dayne and Michael Bennett are somewhere in the middle. Both had lengthy NFL careers but didn't necessarily play up to their status as first-rounders.

Billie Jo from West Plains, MO

In deciding where to play next, do players consider the team environment on top of the money? I remember reading that the Smiths talked about speaking to other veterans before deciding to come to Green Bay. How common is that?

I think it's pretty common. I remember Marcedes Lewis talking with Jimmy Graham before he signed with the Packers in 2018 to get a lay of the land. It's no different than when I took this job in April 2016. I talked with folks I knew both inside the organization and friends who worked for other NFL clubs. You gotta perform your due diligence.

Scott from Sheboygan, WI

The 1995 draft didn't produce any Hall of Famers, but the Super Bowl XXXI victory does not happen without Craig Newsome, William Henderson, Brian Williams, Antonio Freeman, Travis Jervey, and Adam Timmerman. That draft never gets enough love.

Great point. It's long been my contention if you look at any team that wins a Super Bowl, it typically had a pretty good draft class the previous year. The 1995-96 Packers are a testament to that.

Tim from Trempealeau, WI

Would the Packers consider trading for an experienced backup quarterback?

The Packers have invested two years into Tim Boyle's development. I think it's more logical to draft competition for the No. 2 job than acquire a veteran at this point.

Matt from Sioux Falls, SD

With all the mention of drafting a RB, are we overlooking the jar on the shelf we have in Dexter Williams?

We probably haven't talked enough about Williams. He didn't play much last year but he has credentials. His 10-foot-10 broad jump was tied for the best at the combine last year. This is a big offseason for the former sixth-round pick.

Kurtis from De Pere, WI

All of this talk about Canada supplying the NFL pipeline reminded me of my favorite non-Packers player: Laurent Duvernay-Tardif. His story is absolutely fantastic if you appreciate hearing about the good people in the NFL, not just the bad stuff that makes the news. I totally disagree with the NFL's stance on allowing M.D. on his jersey. It's much more inspiring than Jr. or III.

Duvernay-Tardiff was another top Canadian prospect a few years ago and I've been happy to see his skills translate to the NFL level. I believe he's still the only active player with a medical degree. He earned that title, so I agree Duvernay-Tardif should be able to wear it on his jersey.

Chris from Victor, ID

You know what would be pretty scary? If the Bears or Lions signed Derrick Henry. If you were Gutekunst, how much could a move like that influence your own player acquisition strategy?

It wouldn't. Yes, the Packers pay attention to the happenings inside the NFC North (and obviously Matt LaFleur is very familiar with Henry) but that doesn't mean Green Bay would have to go sign particular players to defend him. They already play Dalvin Cook twice a year. You create plan for a season – not one specific player.

George from North Mankato, MN

"Depending on any breaking news........" got me wondering, what does Wes know? Will Clark, Bulaga or Martinez re-sign with the Packers or maybe the Packers be awarded the draft? Wheels are turning..... What's it going to be?

I know nothing. Just like I knew nothing before Mason Crosby re-signed and Davon House retired. You have to be ready for anything, especially when Spoff's on vacation.