Inbox: The Packers will be ready for that challenge

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
ynttacqaq3znfnblzaoq

Jeffrey from Wauwatosa, WI

Hi guys, so Gutey becomes GM and in his first draft he spends a fifth-round pick on a punter, and later on a second-rounder on a guard and another second on a center. It's hard for me to imagine TT doing any of these things. Are the two just that markedly different, or has the game changed to the extent that positions once considered not to be high-value positions now are?

Gutekunst is a little more aggressive than Thompson but I don't think his draft philosophy differs greatly from his predecessor. Thompson never drafted a punter but it's not like he didn't value that position or interior offensive lineman. Heck, one of his second-round picks, Daryn Colledge, primarily played guard in the NFL. If anything, I think the league had its eyes opened to the value of centers and guards over the past decade.

David from Appleton, WI

Hello Insiders! The Packers don't want to bring David Bakhtiari back too soon from his ACL tear. What is the "normal" recovery time from an ACL tear according to the training staff? When is the window open for him to return to the roster? Is he a PUP candidate at the beginning of the season?

Again, you can't paint everyone into a box of "normal." As I wrote this past week, Amari Rodgers came back in five months. For others, it can be nine months to a year. Bakhtiari will be back when Bakhtiari is ready.

Ed from Windsor, CO

What non-traditional numbers, with the new rules, have been requested by players, or assigned by the team?

Maybe a few guys will request new numbers after players report for the offseason program, but right now Amari Rodgers (No. 8) is the only Packers player who has taken advantage of the expansion of numbers.

Richard from Madison, WI

Speaking of versatile offensive linemen, don't just limit yourselves to the ability to swap positions or catch tackle-eligible passes. There's a guy who used to play center who turned out to be a genius with a microphone. Do you remember his name?

The most versatile Packer of all-time – Larry McCarren.

Robert from Salem, MA

Seeing where the roster is, is there one free agent out there, regardless of what their cost would be, that could add the most to the roster?

He's not a free agent but seeing the reports out there that the Arizona Cardinals were open to trading Jordan Hicks raised my antenna. He's an inside linebacker who can help a lot of teams if the Cardinals choose to part with him.

Matt from Bloomington, IN

I usually try not to be the guy to point out silly mistakes, but tagging Jordan Love as one of the guys "playing that pseudo-H-back role" Tuesday was something I just couldn't pass up commenting on. I can't imagine a first-round QB playing a role so dramatically different than his drafted position!

I wanted to quickly address the obvious that we had some formatting issues when Inbox was posted on Tuesday. A couple questions got jumbled together and John Lovett was incorrectly tagged as Jordan Love (which creates the hyperlink). It all got straightened out before Inbox tweeted out but of course so many of you caught it.

Margeaux from Tallahassee, FL

To ease the mind of Matt from Durango, CO, I suggest he read a recent article about Jalen Rose. It seems he has touched off a landslide of children with his name or a spelling variation. My guess is that Matt LaFleur will touch off a naming frenzy amongst Packers fans who we know have a worldwide presence. I imagine we will be meeting Mat, Maat, Maht and a host of others that my imagination can't fathom, before long.

Kind of like how the number of babies named "Brett" or "Bret" inflated exponentially in Brown County in the 1990s?

Michael from Alameda, CA

Wes, or Mike, remember the Killer B's defense of the '70s Miami Dolphins? With the following players on the Packers, AJ Dillon, Aaron Jones, Aaron Rodgers, Amari Rodgers, Allen Lazard and Davante Adams, I propose we nickname our offense "The A Team."