Inbox: The possibilities are endless for the Packers

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
hk55pcpgkxw9tcjumzcz

Derek from Maple Grove, MN

I know you guys are kind of staying out of it, but it seems to me that the fact that the votes on both the owners' side and the players' side were not unanimous indicates that the CBA proposal is probably a fair deal for both sides. If I'm a player, I would be much more concerned with a deal that the owners unanimously approved. Is there anything in the proposal you have seen that seems lopsided?

The only controversial measure in my opinion appears to be the one players are most split over – the 17th game. I understand both the point of view of vested veterans and the young players. On the surface, I like the idea of every player in the league making at least $1 million in base salary by 2029. But for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. That's why it's important for the NFLPA and its more than 2,000 members to have a conversation about the finer details of the proposal.

Gary from Sheboygan, WI

How surprised are you at the adamant opposition to 17 games by some of the players? Many of the talking heads assumed it was a done deal.

I'm not surprised given the safety concerns and debate over how players will be compensated for the extra game.

Steven from Silver Spring, MD

The second "10 things learned" article regarding four Michigan O-linemen referencing Rashan Gary really jumped out at me. Did you guys solicit those takes or did the players naturally mention them? The last interviewee of the four gave insight as to the kind of teammate Gary was viewed as – not just a guy out there but also someone who really wants to play the game.

It's a little of both. Sometimes we ask the players about a former Packers teammate and sometimes they bring them up themselves.

Trevor from Carmel, NY

Do you think if the Packers had won the Super Bowl this past season it would've taken anything away from Ted Thompson's legacy? I'm in the camp that feels Mr. Thompson's contributions are largely unappreciated within the fan base and most of the criticism of his work is unwarranted. Still, I can't help but think bringing a Lombardi home after a huge spending spree would have taken a little bit of shine off his tenure and oversimplified the true reasons for coming up short in the past 10 years.

Not at all. What Thompson did in Green Bay goes beyond Super Bowl rings. He built a smart and solid foundation the team continues to reap the rewards from to this day. And a big reason the Packers didn't spend during a lot of those years were because of how fruitful Thompson's draft classes were.

Ashley from Chicago, IL

Who has been the biggest surprise at the combine?

Quintez Cephus putting up 23 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press. I knew the guy was strong but wow. According to my friend Zach Heilprin, that's the most by a Wisconsin receiver since Nick Toon in 2000.

Bob from Rossford, OH

Seeing the photos of Packers at the combine brings up a burning question: What did JK Scott run the 40 in?

A blazing 4.83-second time that was faster than some of the tight ends and linebackers.

Dennis from Parrish, FL

When Lucas Patrick switches to nose tackle what will his number be? Spoff, you teed it up, I took out my driver! Be safe in Indy.

I would like to add Tyler Lancaster at interior offensive line. That was his primary position in high school and he almost played there after committing to Northwestern as an athlete.

Kent from Lewiston, ID

It is clear Packer fans have their opinions on the team's biggest needs in this draft. However, I would like to ask the Insiders what our division opponents' No. 1 needs are? Is QB in play for each considering cap, injury and performance?

If Mitchell Trubisky is the guy, then the Bears need to add another tight end. Trubisky was a different QB when Trey Burton was healthy and fell off when he was not. The Lions are in need of a difference-maker on defense – pass rusher, ball-hawking cornerback, whatever. There's just a dearth of talent on that side of the ball. The Vikings need cap space. Once they clear some, they'll need players to pick up the slack at areas they cut from.

Joe from Eau Claire, WI

Insiders, thanks for all your hard work throughout the year! I'm assuming that most, if not all, the GMs and personnel folks don't hobnob too much with their counterparts during the actual combine testing. But how about the team website/media folks? Again, I'm assuming that over the years both Spoff and Hod have some that you enjoy "touching base" with while in Indy? Thanks again!

Oh, we hobnob plenty with other team website peeps. I actually recorded a podcast on Thursday with Minnesota team reporter Eric Smith for the Vikings' website. Keep your ears peeled for it.