Inbox: The red zone was the difference

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
jal6kkrwvlpqfwlys2wc

Jordan from Virginia Beach, VA

"And in a game of inches, the outcome often comes down to what's between the ears." I am sure you were happy to see Penn St. score and give Indiana the chance to come back and tie it. The two-point call in OT was very aggressive and, whether you think it was good or not, it takes guts to make that call and play with it all on the line. No way replay changes the call on the field either way. What a football game! Big Ten football is back and is always a great undercard to NFL Sunday!

It was interesting how the Penn St. running back realized a half step too late that he was being allowed to score and shouldn't. Then Sunday, Atlanta's Todd Gurley knew exactly what he should do but couldn't stop himself from barely breaking the plane. Any of these games can turn on the smallest of dimes.

Scott from La Crosse, WI

Not really a question, but seeing the end of the Lions game shows just how smart a move it was last year when Jamaal Williams took the dive at the end of the game. Gurley was given the TD which allowed the Lions a minute to March back and win. For all the back and forth last year about the play, putting the ball in your own hands at the end to secure a win was just the smart move.

The game is geared toward offense. If you can win without having to subject your defense to an unnecessary possession, you do it 101 times out of 100.

Dan from Grayslake, IL

Kudos to Billy Turner and the OL for a solid performance in yet another realignment in David Bakhtiari's absence. Not so much for Dexter Williams who got blown up a few times on special teams including the blocked punt.

What the Packers' offensive line has done this season is really impressive. All the adjustments have been seamless. Only one subpar game from that group despite all the shuffling. The special teams had its first rough game of the season with the blocked punt and onside kick. Those miscues can cost games, and fortunately they can work to clean those up without a negative end result hanging over their head.

George from North Mankato, MN

Just wanted to shout out the performance of the O-line as a whole vs. the Texans. Turner slid over to fill the void left by Bakhtiari and Rick Wagner held his own replacing Turner. Next-man-up mentality was on display. Would you say Stenavich has stepped out from behind the shadow cast by James Campen?

Clearly, and Stenavich's assistant, Luke Butkus, deserves credit, too. Stenavich was in a tough spot last year, getting a veteran group (Bulaga, Bakhtiari, Corey Linsley, Taylor) to buy what a new position coach was selling. That's not easy.

Mike from Green Bay, WI

Sometimes there are moments in sports when you are glad that you were a part of it, and didn't miss it. Game 4 was one of those moments!

One of the best World Series games I've ever watched, and that was before the crazy ending. Unreal. The former Brewer who got the big hit, Brett Phillips, hadn't had an at-bat in 17 days and hadn't had a hit in 29 days. Ah, baseball. Pulling for a Game 7.

Tyler from Green Bay, WI

257 times, huh? I'd ask you to show your work but I hear there's no math in the Inbox. You often refer to injured players working off to the side with the rehab group. Who runs that portion of practice?

The athletic training staff and/or strength and conditioning coaches.

Big from Rochester, NY

Three words: The Pack is back!

There truly is no math in the Inbox.

Randy from Raleigh, NC

Through six games the Packers rarely blitz, but when they do it seems they are rewarded with good results. I'm sure there is a good reason why they don't blitz more. Any insight why?

Three of the first five QBs they faced – Stafford, Brees, Brady – are get-the-ball-out-quick guys. Blitzing isn't going to do much. Pettine also said last week the success rate with sending a fifth guy was down so far this year. The pressure numbers weren't there. It comes down to matchups, effectiveness, and gut feel for the moment. The all-out blitz on third down in the red zone producing the Adrian Amos sack is not the kind of call you can make often. The element of surprise is a factor there.

Bob from Myrtle Beach, SC

Can we celebrate and give some credit to the defense, for what I thought was vastly improved tackling?

It was a solid effort. A few misses, but not a unit-wide issue. Watson is not easy to bring down but they didn't let him run wild back there. That was important.

Matt from Lansing, MI

So, under normal circumstances, when "Bang on the Drum All Day" plays at Lambeau do you stop writing for the duration of the song?

Nope. I keep banging on my keyboard all day.