Inbox: There are challenges and triumph in every great season

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
ajn1tmoeku3whlkx852t

Eric from Dodgeville, WI

Longtime reader, first-time poster. Looking back to the ATL game, I was very surprised at the amount of run plays called during the second half, considering we were facing two third-string safeties, and it wasn't like we had iced the game (the dagger didn't come out until late in the fourth if memory serves). I assumed many would be questioning this play-calling choice, but I haven't heard a peep about it, so obviously I'm the one who's missing something. Can you help me understand what I'm missing?

It's kind of what we discussed last week – the Falcons stressed defending Aaron Jones and the run game, so the Packers countered with the pass – and were successful in doing so. The great Kenny Powers used to refer to that as, "Making the necessary adjustments."

Nick from Lincoln, NE

With this being an Aaron Rodgers vs. Tom Brady game, do you guys think that it will come down to skill of team or quarterbacks?

Team. The last I checked there are 21 other players on the field besides the quarterback.

George from Olympia, WA

Why did Josiah Deguara get put on IR?

He's injured.

Sasha from Cabo Mexico, Mexico

Greetings from Mexico, where the beaches are still warm and uncrowded. My question is about the time-of-possession statistic. Isn't total plays a far more accurate assessment of ball control? Announcers often say a defense is tired based on time-of-possession numbers. When in reality, six running plays could eat up more clock compared to 12 passing plays where most are incomplete. A defense on the passing plays would likely be more tired. What do you say? And please answer in Spanish!

Si. El tiempo de posesión y las jugadas van de la mano. Es como preparar un gran golpe en el boxeo. Trabaja el cuerpo y lanza la derecha grande cuando bajan sus defensas. Thank you Google Translate.

Vinny from Arlington, VA

So, the Packers have won as many games in four weeks as the entire NFC East division combined has in five weeks! And two of the four NFC East wins were won against another NFC East team, and a third from Dallas' infamous onside kick against Atlanta. Does the NFC East forfeit the right to have a team provided a playoff berth? I'm not in fan of a seventh playoff team in each conference but the 2020 NFC East certainly provides support to a seventh team given how the NFC East "winner" will get an automatic berth.

Nobody can ever complain about a division winner with a .500 or losing record making the playoffs ever again, because now that 10-6 or 9-7 bubble team is getting in. Call me old-fashioned but I still don't like the seventh playoff spot.

Paul from Nevada City, CA

I was concerned when the schedule showed a break this past week but am now placated due to the early injuries. Look forward to EQ again as well as Tae returning. Despite the Niners' decline, I hope to get to the game but it's problematic as a Thursday night when both my wife and I work with the distance involved. Can you give a shout-out to my aunt and uncle (Gert and Neil) for their 65th anniversary this Thursday? He's a retired Gazette printer supervisor and they still live in De Pere. He grew up on Gray Street.

The bye week definitely came at a good time for Green Bay, albeit early. And from one former Press-Gazetter to another, Happy Anniversary Neil and Gert Kiedinger.

Duane from Oak Creek, WI

Do you still think we get a full season in this year?

Define full season – Do I think they play the entire regular season? Yes. Will everything wrap things up on Jan. 3? I don't know. But again, the NFL started its season on time. It didn't shut down and then have to pick back up. That's an advantage the other sports leagues didn't have.

Malcolm from Fennimore, WI

Might be a little late, but what did you guys think of the first Tuesday night game? Could you see that becoming more normal at least this year? I doubt for future years.

Desperate times call for desperate measures, but I hope we don't have to go down that road again. This game is too taxing on the body for players to have to play multiple games in a season on a short week, like Tennessee will now have to do this Sunday. Fortunately, Buffalo gets an extra day with playing on Monday Night Football.

Thomas from Cedar Rapids, IA

The NFL has said an 18th week is not out of the question. I can see an ugly scenario looming: Team A has a chance for a playoff spot and plays Team B who has no shot. Team B players begin to opt out since it is a meaningless game and ends up fielding a team with a large number of practice-squad players. Life isn't fair, but imagine being Team C, whose playoff future hangs on the outcome. Let's all hope the NFL can avoid an 18th week.

Nobody is opting out under the circumstances you put forth. Players don't get paid unless they play, per the NFL and NFLPA agreement, so they'd be forfeiting 1/17 of their base salary to sit out the last game after playing a full season. The team out of playoff contention might be cautious about who plays, but that's no different than any other year.