Inbox: They're missing the real story here

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
kibez9ydhnvjawwtdzvs

Austin from Washington, D.C.

Excited to see the UDFA list! Three were projected by ESPN to be drafted: Tipa Galeai (OLB), Patrick Taylor (RB), and Stanford Samuels III (CB). Each was one of the top undrafted players available at his position. Darrell Stewart (WR) also appears to be one of the best receivers left, which might ease some fans' angst. What stands out to you about the 15 newcomers, Insiders?

If not for the 40 time in Indy, Samuels likely would've been drafted. A junior entrant in the draft, Samuels has good size and man-coverage skills. The Packers will start him at cornerback, though some pundits floated the idea out there about a potential move to safety. Time will tell. Also, keep an eye on Marc-Antoine Dequoy out of Montreal. He's a 6-3 corner who clocked a 4.36 in the 40 and 6.65 in the three-cone at his pro day. That's the hype.

Corey from Henderson, NV

First, love the Stewart signing. Those numbers are eye-popping, and I'm hoping some of that translates to the NFL. However, can you help explain the Jalen Morton signing? They drafted Love, and then cut Wilkins...only to sign a UDFA QB? Is this more because he's a gadget kind of player (passing, rushing, receiving TDs) and the league is going in that quasi-direction? What did they not see in Wilkins that they see in this kid?

We don't know what went into the decision to release Wilkins, so I'm going to steer clear of that move until Gutekunst speaks on it. Morton had a decorated career at Prairie View and received a combine invite based on his size (6-4, 226) and pro arm (NFL.com reported he could throw a ball 64 yards flat-footed). He's raw and needs to refine how he works through his progressions, but there's real ability there.

Steve from Wichita, KS

I will admit, I drank the Kool-Aid and am upset at some of our draft picks. I wanted one of the top WR or LB coming into the draft. After reading our GM's comments, I can understand what he felt about the WR class after the top ones left. Another year in the system, flexibility with players and scheme I think will make for a better team next year.

I can tell you there was only one time I objected to the Packers not drafting a specific position – when they didn't take a safety in 2013. It was so blatantly obvious they needed one that year. Green Bay has Davante Adams, Allen Lazard and Devin Funchess at the top of its depth chart. That's a much better trio than fans give it credit for, especially when you factor in what the Packers have at running back and tight end.

Jason from Austin, TX

Being a team that grounds and pounds the ball through their opponent should serve us well when the cold weather hits, right?

Fans are so fixated on the receivers they're missing the real story here – the Packers appear to be building their offense around the ground game and it is an exceedingly deep backfield, perhaps the deepest they've had in 15 years.

Darren from Wakefield, MI

How long does it take a rookie safety such as Vernon Scott to be a contributor? He can run but he can't be Micah Hyde, right?

I like his versatility. Scott was only a one-year starter so I don't expect him to come in and compete for a defensive role right away, but he's a core-four player on special teams. That should hasten his transition to the pros.

Mike from Whitefish, MT

Packers.com's April 27 video "Every Green Bay Packers pick shown from the 2020 NFL Draft" omitted our eighth pick, Vernon Scott. Will you correct that and apologize to Mr. Scott? Or, if there's no NFL Network tape on his selection, will you at least insert some Instant Reax and/or Remix footage or, failing that, insert the word "Almost" at the beginning of this video's title?

They didn't show it on NFL Network. I did an Instant Reax on Scott, though. That'll be quite the story if Scott becomes a Pro Bowler someday.

Tony from Lincoln, CA

Hi there! I and my wife love II. Could the articles trying to create an issue between AR and ML do just the opposite? I imagine all the hagga-gazza inspiring Love, Rodgers, the Packers' receiving corps, and the defensive front seven to ball-out, every game like never before. Kind of like the '90s Bulls when they all bought into Jackson's system. That's my hope, anyway.

All this speculation and innuendo is cute. Whenever sanctions are lifted and football resumes, however, I expect to see a laser-focused Rodgers who's more motivated than ever to win a championship. Water is wet, fire burns and Aaron Rodgers remains one of the best QBs alive.

Eddie from La Crosse, WI

When Wes is asked for his opinion on what Favre said about Rodgers, I hope and pray that he will respond with: I...D...C...

There is one man whose opinion I care about regarding this topic and it's not Brett Favre's. Moving on.

Larry from Cumming, GA

Elgton Jenkins had a fabulous rookie season at LG. Given his athletic comparison to Bryan Bulaga and Green Bay drafting potentially three guards, do you think we'll see Jenkins at RT in camp?

If it's me, I leave Elgton Jenkins at left guard for the next 10 years and focus my attention elsewhere. Mission accomplished with that second-round pick last year.

Chris from Victor, ID

Let's put it this way. The Packers weren't just one (rookie) slot receiver or faster (rookie) coverage linebacker away from beating San Francisco last season.

If you build a team specifically to beat the 2019 49ers, then you get ready to lose to the 2020 version. Because San Francisco isn't staying the same, either. The game is constantly evolving, so you better be changing with it.

Thomas from Scottsdale, AZ

Hey guys, what's your take on the stat about Rodgers only throwing one TD to first-round picks over the years. Cherry-picked stat or is this actually indicative of anything?

What a can of bologna that stat was. Now can we get a list of touchdown passes thrown to second-round picks, please? It's not like Ted Thompson and Brian Gutekunst asked Rodgers to win with Spoff and me playing receiver.