Inbox: They're the glue binding the book together

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
uwgog27agelknjqk2mhy

Brett from Green Bay, WI

You guys brought up on "Packers Unscripted" a few weeks ago that aside from the coordinator, the entire defensive staff is returning from 2020. Obviously, that's not something that happens often in the NFL. Because of this, do you think it will take less time from the players to "play faster" in the new scheme than it normally would?

Wow. Not only does the regional-famous Brett from Green Bay make a rare appearance in the Inbox submissions, but he also brought his fastball with him. You hit the nail on the clavicle, Brett. I think Matt LaFleur saw how well this group of position coaches handled their players he wanted to keep as much of the band together as possible. Furthermore, the returning assistants had two full months to work with Joe Barry before the team welcomed players back into the building. The importance of those coaches cannot be overstated. They're the glue binding the book together.

Eric from Kenosha, WI

Good morning and thanks for entertaining all our nonsense during the void. Speaking of, isn't it obvious how Jaire Alexander will play faster this season? He will wear a jetpack. The Inbox community has already added lasers to pro football, so jetpacks are the next logical step.

I created this monster. I can't get mad for it turning against me.

Curt from Algonquin, IL

Our three top draft picks not only come into a winning organization, but each can learn directly from among the very best players in the league at their position. Who do you think will enjoy the most benefit from that: Eric Stokes from Alexander, Josh Myers from David Bakhtiari, or Amari Rodgers from Davante Adams?

All three rookies have great mentors to learn from, but Stokes especially is going to benefit from working with Alexander. They play cornerback differently but there still are so many parallels between them. They're only a few years apart in terms of age and Alexander knows exactly what Stokes is going through as a rookie first-round pick. Alexander is rapidly ascending and there's no rule saying he can't take these young guys with him.

Joe from Des Moines, IA

Knowing how important Adam Stenavich is to this offense has me wondering how succession plans in coaching are handled. When a team has a certain position coach who is well-regarded and could be looking at a coordinator position elsewhere in the near future, do they ever assign a young assistant or quality control coach to shadow them and focus on the finer details of the job?

Absolutely, and it's a must on the offensive line. Luke Butkus has served as Stenavich's assistant the past two years, just as Jeff Blasko assisted James Campen and Campen once aided Joe Philbin before that. If a position doesn't have a full-time assistant, the Packers usually have a coaching administrator or quality control coach in the room. Kevin Koger, for example, assisted Justin Outten last year with the tight ends. So, yeah, NFL teams are also keeping young coaches in the queue, so to speak.

Dar from Mansfield, TX

Vic used to say that at inside linebacker it's ideal to have both a thumper and a chaser; one guy who can hit and the other with the speed to go sideline to sideline or cover elite tight ends. With De'Vondre Campbell aboard, it seems the Pack finally has both a guy who can really run paired with others (Kamal Martin, Krys Barnes) who are smart and can hit. Maybe they're not yet the Buccaneers' tandem of Devin White and Lavonte David, but I'll take it. When was the last time the Pack had a legit incarnation of both?

A.J. Hawk and Desmond Bishop are probably the best 1-2 the Packers have had inside since the switch back to a 3-4 in 2009 – and unfortunately that partnership ended prematurely due to that torn hamstring that pretty much ended Bishop's career. Time will tell how Campbell fits into Joe Barry's defense but he fills a big need for this defense on paper.

Nick from Prescott, WI

Hey guys, quick question. I heard some rumblings about WR Juwann Winfree looking really good during camp. What was your take and what do you know about him?

Winfree had a nice spring, taking full advantage of the extra snaps afforded to him. I gotta couch everything by mentioning the pads weren't on and there was no live tackling, but Winfree looked crisp in his route-running and made a few nice catches during practices open to the media. While Winfree isn't a household name to Packers fans, he has some credentials as a former sixth-round pick in 2019. The competition is going to be stiff at receiver this summer but Winfree helped his cause the past two months.