Inbox: They feel like they're close

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
hyakw8fuoil5fsd01icc

Burt from Oconto Falls, WI

It might just be another senior moment but it seems to me King was much more effective earlier in his career when he played tight coverage, while last year he was trailing all the time and obviously struggled. He certainly needs to find a way to stay healthy and available (which is a different issue) but do you feel a change in how he is being asked to play could help his performance?

That's what I'll be watching – how can Joe Berry's system complement King's skill set. Because again, King looked to be on the verge of becoming a real problem for QBs in 2019.

Jeff from Eveleth, MN

I don't know what your thoughts are, Wes, but I think a big reason Aaron Rodgers had such a good year was that he was in the right frame of mind. He seemed more at peace. When I saw the picture of him in the back of David Bakhtiari's truck with a case of beer, I was convinced.

Rodgers said 2020 was special for him and one of his most enjoyable seasons to date. Rodgers has had success before, but I think his third MVP season was the perfect blend of skill, scheme, Rodgers being in a good mental space and the Packers having a tight-knit locker room.

Adam from Wausau, WI

I'm glad you mentioned Micah Hyde as one of the Packers' better returners. What I liked about Hyde is I never had to worry about him fumbling/dropping the ball on punt returns. And I know the question was about returners yesterday, but as much as people didn't like Jarrett Bush playing defense, I still think he was our best special teams performer over his career. Thanks.

Bush might be the most underappreciated Packers player of the McCarthy Era. He was a four-core special-teamer and assignment-sure reserve defender who could play seven positions. Bush had a great story, having entered the league as a college free agent.

Craig from Appleton, WI

Outside of Corey Linsley, would you expect any of the other free agents we have lost to net a compensatory pick?

Assuming the Packers don't sign an unrestricted free agent, Jamaal Williams' contract with Detroit should net Green Bay another compensatory pick.

Markus from Aurora, CO

Gents, slowly but surely, news about the season to come are emerging, and with it also news on events leading up to it. I am looking forward to announcements regarding the shareholder meeting and hopefully an in-person Packers 5K. When do these pieces of the preseason puzzle emerge?

We typically would be only a few weeks away from the preseason schedule being released but the NFL likely will take its time before making any proclamations for the 2021 season. The draft is a month away and the league just announced Monday what the plan was for Cleveland.

Jason from Woodbury, MN

Hey Wes! Got a couple of quick questions in advance of the NFL owners' meeting I'm hoping you can answer, as you clearly have an inside track on everything that goes on in the owners' boxes around the league. Are there any rule changes reportedly on the table that you would like to see implemented? And, specifically regarding the 17th game proposal, how can the NFL reconcile adding a 17th regular season game with its recent push for player safety?

The competition committee usually releases a list of rule proposals before the owners meeting every year but I have yet to see that. As far as the 17th game, the league likely will use the progress it's made with player safety and the smarter approach teams have taken to offseason training, including the reduction of preseason games, as rationale.

Mike from Cottage Grove, MN

Wes you mentioned to Mark from Pitt Meadows that several of the players he mentioned were on the 'wrong side of 30.' Wasn't Charles Woodson on the 'wrong side of 30' when the Packers nabbed him as a free agent? Or is he a special incident compared to what's available this off season?

Remarkably, Woodson was only 29 when the Packers signed him in May 2006. Woodson also possessed rare longevity for a DB to play as long as he did at a high level.

Mark from Hudson, WI

Really fun question from Tim from Warwick, UK and equally fun answer from Wes. Following up on that question, and since all your picks were offensive players, and assuming your Tuesday is as boring as your Monday was, who would be your picks for the top defensive players from each round over the past 30 years?

I'll go with Clay Matthews (first round, 2009), Nick Collins (second round, 2005), Mike McKenzie (third round, 1999), Mike Daniels (fourth round, 2012), Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila (fifth round, 2000), Johnny Jolly (sixth round, 2006), and Lawrence Guy (seventh round, 2011). Again, that's if we're going back to 1991. If you throw in the 1990 class, then you could also make a case for LeRoy Butler and Bryce Paup.