Inbox: They like the stock

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
jxihg4woabktsxfl1ez3

James from Appleton, WI

Well, you can't accuse the Packers of Aaron on the side of caution.

Be honest, James. On a scale of 1-10, how proud of yourself were you for that one?

Ethan from La Crosse, WI

Maybe this is better to ask when the free agency and contract negotiation dust has settled, but I'm just curious to know, of the contracts that were re-worked to lower cap hits, how many of those included incentive-based pay? And of those, which ones were designated as 'likely to be earned'? It's my understanding LTBE incentives, if reached, would count against this year's cap. Is it correct they are also immediately counted against the cap this year, too? Thanks.

Like you said, we won't know all that until the contracts are filed with the NFLPA but likely to be earned (and unlikely to be earned) language could very well be written into some of those deals. LTBE means the player accomplished that feat in the previous season (e.g. Mike Spofford rushing for 1,000 yards in 2020). Now if Spoff doesn't accomplish that again in 2021, then the Packers would be credited the difference towards the 2022 cap. Likewise, if Spoff hits an ULTBE incentive (let's say 10 sacks after he only had five in 2020), then the difference would count towards next year's cap.

Chadro from Janesville, WI

Welcome back Wes. Did we just win free agency? "In Russ we trust"

What can I say? The man is a wizard. I just hope the card-carrying members of the "Cut everyone!" and "We didn't go all-in!" crowds remember this weekend.

Rick from Rhinelander, WI

Will the fans be allowed back into Packers stadium in 2021?

It's no longer a question of whether there will be fans inside Lambeau Field next season – it's how many will there be? That will be decided in the months to come. Hopefully, the vaccine distribution goes well and Sundays will be closer to normal this fall. But it's on all of us to make that happen.

Randy from Clarksville, TN

I hate this upcoming week! I expect we will see friends leave and possibly new faces join our ranks. I hope we don't lose anyone, but business will tell us otherwise. Being a fan is sometimes harder than being a team member. Thanks to all Packers, who will be leaving, who played their hearts out for the Green and Gold! We will miss you and good luck wherever you end up. Go Pack!

You feel good for the people. Like Linsley, for example, deserves every single cent coming his way in the coming days. It just sucks because every year there are good people who leave 1265 Lombardi Ave. and you don't know when you'll see them again. It can be players, coaches, personnel people or even my former Gameday Program associate Lexi Kinnard.

George from North Mankato, MN

Welcome back Wes! Where should we start...... Jones deal or Brees retirement?

I was sort of surprised at how many of these submissions I received Sunday. Was anyone really that surprised to see Drew Brees retire? Didn't we kind of already know that?

Richard from Madison, WI

My strongest memory of Drew Brees was when he threw something like 80 passes when playing for Purdue vs. the Badgers. The Badgers won, but not easily, and I remember thinking at the time that this guy had quite a future ahead of him in the NFL. So it proved to be! What's your favorite memory of him, Wes?

For me, it's the sight of Brees lifting the Lombardi Trophy in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. Brees gave the City of New Orleans so much hope and inspiration during what was such a devastating time for so many. As a player, I'll never forget how fast he could deliver the football. He was like a cheat code, man. Pass-rushers just couldn't get to him. Brees was so confident in his abilities and accurate with his throws, and that swagger permeated through the Saints' organization for 15 years.