Inbox: They only take you so far

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
yslvc6qiqxckdwjifqsy

Dave from Germantown, TN

With the talk about the impact of penalties on special teams, is there a statistic that subtracts total special team penalty yards from actual return yards? If so, I am curious if the Packers were plus or minus last year.

I’ve never seen such a statistic. To clarify how penalties on special teams affect return stats, the returner gets credit for the return yardage up to the spot of the foul, and the penalty yards are marked off from there. If the penalty occurs while a punt is in the air, the penalty yardage is marked off from the spot of the catch, and the return never existed.

Richard from Menasha, WI

Are any of the minicamp practices next week open to the public?

John from Madison, AL

You two guys deserve a huge kudos on your NFL knowledge! I've been a fan of the NFL for 54 years but there is no way I could fill in for one of you guys and answer questions on salary cap issues, signing bonuses, front-loaded contracts, free agency stipulations, injured reserve rules, etc. I think I'd have to acquire a four-year degree to learn all that. Did you guys sit thru classes on the business aspects of the NFL when you were first hired or did you learn all that on the job?

You learn on the job, and you learn where to go for information you don’t know, or sometimes in my case as I get older, have forgotten.

Theologos from Athens, Greece

Mike, the Packers had invested a high draft pick in Jason Spriggs and meaningful resources for his development. The team has shown patience with him but eventually patience is not perpetual. Do you think that for him this year is make it or break it?

I think any high draft pick who hasn’t become a starter heading into his fourth season is at a critical juncture in his career. That’s stating the obvious.

Justin from Canton, NC

Bart was 5-0 against Jim Brown’s Browns, that makes it sound a little better. How was he head-to-head vs. Unitas? I used this in an argument with a Pats fan belittling the ’60s championships and saying back then the Packers didn’t have anyone to play. I responded with, "You're probably right, just a bunch of no names like Brown, Unitas, Sayers and Ditka...just to name a few."

If I did the research correctly, Starr was 8-9 vs. Unitas in games both QBs started, though in what turned out to be the final meeting, a 1969 Colts win, Starr is listed as the starter but left the game without having thrown a pass.

Al from Green Bay, WI

I've long been impressed by Bart Starr, and he is certainly on the Packers’ Mount Rushmore of QBs, along with Favre and Rodgers. Is there a worthy fourth in your view?

Tough call among Arnie Herber, Cecil Isbell and Lynn Dickey. I’d defer to Cliff on that one.

Bret from Hertel, WI

Dear Mike, now that the Bears retro uniforms were leaked, will they be used in the first game? And what did you think of them?

If what has leaked is indeed their new throwback, I have to believe they’re wearing it to kick off the NFL’s (and the Bears’) 100th season, and at first glance I think they look pretty cool.

Terry from Sun Prairie, WI

What type of running game will the Packers have this year?

A committed one, by all accounts.

Wade from Roseville, MN

Reports are that Goodell wants to shorten the preseason. My vote is the NFL shorten the preseason by one week and lengthen the regular season by one week by adding an additional bye week per team. This would lengthen the weeks the NFL has top viewership ratings by one week while lowering injury risk to players by giving them an extra bye week (possibly the week leading up to their Thursday night game) and taking away one preseason game. I think that is a win for everyone.

A 3-17 structure has been floated before, and the players have long resisted any extension of the regular season. We’ll see if it gets any traction in the next round of CBA negotiations, but we’re a long way from this being a serious possibility.

Nathan from Kewaskum, WI

Do II writers and staff get to park in the fenced-in parking lot along with the players?

Anthony from Kenosha, WI

I saw Jordy is signing a one-day deal to retire a Packer. Do players get paid anything for signing one-day deals to retire?

Also no, but that’s not why they do it.