Inbox: They weren't afraid to think outside the box

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
kftk91f8xs1eckxtxhuo

Joseph from Salt Lake City, UT

The question about AR's comebacks reminded me of maybe my favorite one: down 26-3 at half and Matt Flynn brought us the win in Arlington! It was so sad to watch his career simply fizzle out after some outstanding games in AR's absence. Did he end up anywhere after Seattle once it drafted Russell Wilson?

Yes, Green Bay…leading the Packers to one of the greatest comebacks in team history…after falling behind 26-3…at halftime…against the Dallas Cowboys…in Arlington.

Brandon from Mount Vernon, IL

Insiders, I know you probably get this one every year, but how exactly are compensatory picks determined? By performance? By the players' contract? I recently read an article stating Martinez is expected to bring back a fourth, Bulaga a fifth and Fackrell a sixth. However, Bulaga and Martinez signed similar deals in length and salary. So why would their compensation expectance be different?

It's based almost entirely on average-per-year salary. I don't have their contracts right in front of me, but Over The Cap had Blake Martinez's APY ahead of Bryan Bulaga's on its cancellation chart.

Joel from Green Bay, WI

Thanks for the explanation of compensatory picks. You did well, but there's one recent amendment. There can now be more than 32 awarded, as any team that's employed a minority candidate for at least two years who gets hired as head coach or head football executive (e.g. GM) with another team gets a third-round compensatory pick, following the compensatory picks for players in that round, in each of the next two drafts. This year, the Rams, 49ers, Saints, and Ravens will all get such picks.

You're absolutely correct, but the compensatory process for net loss in free agency remains at 32 total picks.

Craig from Temperance, MI

This salary cap thing is going to catch up with the NFL, especially with these guaranteed money contracts and the lengths. It will be interesting in the coming years. It's so hard to keep a team intact year-in and year-out.

Craig, did you lock this submission in a time capsule in 1994 and just now dig it out of your backyard?

Mario from Montevideo, Uruguay

Good morning II. Not a question, rather a suggestion: As long as there is a Mike LB, why not change the Will to Wes? Sorry, I don't know what to do with Sam. Let me congratulate both of you on a job very well done. Keep up the good work.

Now, there's an idea!

John from Prospect, KY

No question but just a quick comment. Though bummed out how the season ended, the future is bright for GB. How many teams make it to NFC championship games two years in a row? The core of the team will be returning in '21 with the best QB, CB, WR, and tackle one can find anywhere and will have at least one great RB to boot and our overall defense is emerging as a powerhouse. I bet 29 other teams would like to trade places with us. We're not quite at the summit yet, but it's within reach.

Like I said, it isn't the end, folks. It's just the beginning.

HAVE A QUESTION?