Inbox: Those guys are increasingly valuable

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
q4ttjopj195uab86lpuu

James from Appleton, WI

I thought it was pretty evident to everyone in the NFL that the only person who can guarantee that a player will be starting for a team three years from now is the player himself. Isn't that how it works?

Pretty much.

Neal from Fort Worth, TX

After several friends/teammates called the Aaron Rodgers situation "fixable," I've noticed the much of the nat'l media has softened their position and now expect him to remain a Packer, at least for 2021. What's the overall mood like inside the walls at 1265?

On the third floor (football ops), I can only go by what Matt LaFleur reiterated on Friday, that the team wants Rodgers back. Here on the second floor (digital dept.), we're just going about our business and waiting until we're told some news.

Steve from Lake Stevens, WA

If Amari Rodgers can be the slot receiver everyone thinks he is, can we presume that will allow the other receivers to be even more effective?

All part of the plan.

Daniel from Waukesha, WI

Will the Packers win another Super Bowl in the Aaron Rodgers era?

Also the plan.

Geoffrey from Rosemount, MN

And why in the hell can we not have an eight-team playoff in college football with the five power conference winners and three wild-card teams?

I've been asking that question dating all the way back to the Bowl Alliance and BCS games from 20-plus years ago.

Joshua from Houston, TX

Hopefully with 17 games there will be less tiebreaker situations.

Fewer, yes, that would be nice.

Wags from Marinette, WI

Now that it's a 17-game season, is it safe to say the Dolphins' record will never be broken?

I'll never say never, but the extra game lowers the odds of a perfect season. It's even harder now.

John from Madison, WI

When Larry interviews new players – do they know who he is?

I would imagine only if someone tells them in advance.

Jason from Aurora, WI

Seven years in the league, NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year, seven Pro Bowls, six-time All-Pro, NFL Defensive Player of the Year three times. Since 2015 every team has been trying to not only stop him, but also to find the "next" Aaron Donald. He is the quintessential "transformative player." Am I wrong that he is the reason for the recent emphasis on interior OL?

He's not the reason but he's certainly a big reason as the game continues to evolve. Players like Philly's Fletcher Cox, KC's Chris Jones and the Packers' own Kenny Clark have factored in as well, because those guys who can stop the run on their way to the quarterback are increasingly valuable. Toss in schemes like Mike Zimmer's double-A gap blitz look that a lot of teams have copied and there are a lot of ways teams are trying to exploit that shortest distance to the QB these days.