Inbox: Those guys don’t get this far

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
uowavl7a7hr4tmyp5puu

Harold from Chester, NJ

What's the preferred method for brat consumption? Boil then grill, grill only, or grill then simmer?

Parboil in beer and onions, grill, then straight from the grill to the bun.

Aaron from Herndon, VA

Just a comment today: The infusion of talent to the roster does not only improve the team from a personnel standpoint. Those that were already Packers improve from those roster moves, as well. Adams has been ascending since he got to GB. However, it cannot be coincidence that he was on the verge of breaking team records the same season he began battling Jaire Alexander in practice. Iron sharpens iron (metaphorically speaking, of course). I think that is the most exciting part of 2019.

I won’t deny that’s a positive factor, but realistically, don’t overplay it. The majority of ones vs. ones in practice occurs in training camp. Throughout the regular season, the respective ones face scout teams, except for the occasional two-minute drill. The best must continue perfecting their craft in their own way over the long haul.

Patrick from Valrico, FL

I have noticed a certain practice of some sites which take the same exact articles and modify the titles after the original post. Thankfully packers.com does not use this tactic. I find it very annoying and I wonder is this simply a trick to get more clicks or is there a less deceptive purpose?

Don’t think too hard.

Jay from Pollock Pines, CA

Mike, I don’t get to read the Inbox regularly, so I usually end up reading several in one sitting. My favorite responses are the ones that clearly required significant research to put together. (1989 Cowboys and 1981 Giants two-game schedules are great examples.) Did you love research papers as a kid or did you come to acquire the detail bug later? What are your best resources for assembling those kinds of answers? Keep up the great work!

The NFL Record & Fact Book and profootballreference.com provide a lot of background for research-based queries. They don’t have all the answers, but they have the data that can lead to answers with a little legwork, logic and double-checking. If I’m curious enough about something and have the time, I’ll do my best to figure it out.

Adam from Racine, WI

During a road trip to New York I had lots of time to think and thought about a way to improve special-teams play and possibly player safety. Allow teams a five-man special-teams roster outside of the 53 and game-day rosters, but can only play on special teams. It would allow teams more depth in other areas of the roster, and beyond the standard positions teams could keep top gunners, returners, etc., who focus solely on excelling in those roles.

Sorry, I’m not interested in greater specialization in an already over-specialized league. No thanks. I could see the game-day 46 increasing at some point, maybe all the way up to 53, before the 53 itself would increase.

Jill from Oshkosh, WI

Which player are you most excited to watch this season?

Aaron Rodgers.

Shilo from Murrieta, CA

Wouldn't it be cool if Lang and Sitton went into the Packers HOF together? It just seems fitting.

That was mentioned in the Inbox when they both retired within a few weeks of each other earlier this offseason. If they were each other’s introductory speaker, that would be even better.

Gary from Sheboygan, WI

A takeoff from Paul from Bay View's question about teams practicing in the heat. Do you think any teams will ever come back to Wisconsin for training camp to avoid the heat back home?

Home facilities are so advanced and ultra-equipped now that it’s becoming harder and harder to replicate the environment elsewhere. Teams also seem more reluctant these days to take away whatever local economic impact there may be from hosting training camp by moving it somewhere else.

Darren from Wakefield, MI

Speaking of southern team training camps, do you know what happened with the Jaguars and UW-Stevens Point? Pretty sure that was a one-and-done, correct? Being from Point originally I do have a Jaguars/Point T-shirt from that year. Never knew why it didn't continue.

It was one-and-done, in 1995. I’m sure Vic knows more behind the reasons for not returning, but if the idea was to come to Wisconsin to escape the summer heat, the Jaguars picked the wrong year. The Midwest heat wave in the summer of ’95 was one for the ages. Multiple days of high 90s and 100-plus temps, stifling humidity, the whole works. That was my summer of grad school at Northwestern and I was subletting a non-A/C’d apartment. It was brutal. Dozens upon dozens of elderly and destitute people in Chicago were dying from the heat, and the daily tally was on the front page of the Chicago Tribune. So were pictures of the refrigerated trucks being used to store the dead bodies because the coroner’s office was so overwhelmed. How’s that for irony? Die in a heat wave, finally get A/C. I’m not making this up.