Inbox: Tough call to make

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
umpsnxvullswbbg33eff

Dale from Wilton, WI

With the Alumni Spotlight, which are great, by the way, Wayne Larrivee has been doing them, except one with Mike. Was Wayne sick that day or does Aaron Taylor know Mike that well?

When Wayne happens to be gone, I fill in.

Brian from Rockaway, NJ

After seeing Aaron Rodgers' top 10 throws for 2019, I forgot the Jamaal Williams TD was on third-and-1 from the 3, meanwhile Rodgers throws the ball at least 30 yards for the TD. The "air yardage" vs. "actual yards gained" reminded me of the Rodgers-to-Rodgers TD against Minnesota several years back. First-and-goal inside the 1, Aaron scrambles right, throws across his body falling backward, to a wide open R. Rodgers in the end zone on the money. Without "Next Gen" stats, it looked like a 40-yard pass for a 1-yard TD.

That's probably the most memorable play from the two Packers-Vikings games at the University of Minnesota's stadium (TCF Bank) in 2014-15. Either that, or James Jones catching a sideline dart for a TD while wearing the since-outlawed hoodie. Tough call to make.

Timothy from Spooner, WI

The question about cornerbacks in yesterday's Inbox and the response highlighted a recent thought. In basketball, it is widely accepted that playing defense requires more energy than offense. In the NFL, I always wondered why is it that receivers often take themselves off the field after a route when they are gassed, but cornerbacks never seem to have that luxury? Cornerbacks certainly must be supremely conditioned athletes.

They absolutely are. They also get to play zone once in a while.

Rob from London, UK

If roughly 100 combine invitees go undrafted, how many of them aren't picked up as UDFAs?

Very few if any. Teams sign hundreds of UDFAs every year.

Muzz from Yarram, Australia

Looking at the Packers' fixture for away games in 2020, where would be your choice of venue if it was possibly the only chance to see your team live, ever? Of course I'd love to see them at Lambeau but thinking that's a bit out of reach.

New Orleans might be the best city for a road trip, but the Superdome is nothing special as a stadium. The best combination of location and venue for 2020 might be Lucas Oil Stadium in Indy. I know I'll be there next week, but I'm looking forward to covering a game there again.

George from North Mankato, MN

Speaking of walking "into the corn" and MLB holding a game in Dyersville, I began to wonder what has been the most unique venue you have seen a game in? Also, if you could catch a game from any time period, where would it be?

Aside from the soccer stadium in LA and shortened field in Winnipeg this past season, the most unique venue in which I've covered an NFL game would probably be Candlestick Park, and not in a good way. That place was way past its prime long before the 49ers got their new digs. Given the arc of my tenure here, I would love to go back to the '70s to see a Packers-Vikings game at the old Met in Bloomington and a Steelers playoff game at Three Rivers.

Dennis from Wisconsin Rapids, WI

I'm a big fan of Wisconsin's professional sports teams. My wife couldn't care less about them. How can I get her interested enough to at least go to a game or two with me? My hope is the "live" experience might be the kindling to light her sports fire. Any ideas?

Maybe try focusing on the social aspect first? Do the tailgating right, with friends and such, and see if that brings her along.

Gary from Sheboygan, WI

II, will the names of the players the Packers interview at the combine be given to the public? It might help show what the Packers think they need.

Ha. They have no interest in divulging the list. Players will sometimes leak the formal interviews on their schedule, but even with that knowledge it's hard to draw any conclusions. Sometimes teams already know a player so well they won't request him at the combine so they can talk to other players, and other times they'll use the interviews to grill the college teammates of a player they're high on. You just never know.

Ashley from Chicago, IL

Who is due for a breakout season in 2020?

As usual, several candidates immediately come to mind. My initial list of possibilities includes (in no particular order) Darnell Savage, Rashan Gary, JK Scott, Equanimeous St. Brown, Jace Sternberger and Kingsley Keke.