Inbox: Versatility provides options

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
o9wnxlbjpritsvwowg2z

Caroline from Olympia, WA

How many tight ends are we really going to maintain on our active roster?

I expect the Packers to keep a minimum of three, but any beyond that will come down to several factors – abilities on special teams, numbers at other positions, likelihood of a waiver claim (therefore losing the practice-squad option), etc. Right now, my guess would be they keep four, but that’s a very preliminary thought.

Rick from Pacifica, CA

Howdy II. I've read significant angst about the Packers not re-signing Bashaud Breeland. He played well and on a discount due to injury and seems to be playing at a discount again this year. I read a while back, and can't find the article, that it wasn't that the Packers didn't want to re-sign him but that with the young talent at the position he wanted to go where he could start. He's playing for a new and large contract; can't do that as the third or fourth corner.

I’d call that a very fair read on the situation. As always with contracts and free agents, it takes two to tango.

Allen from Birmingham, AL

For throwback day, since you wimped out on manual typewriters, at least use an app that makes a "clack" sound when you type the laptop keystrokes...

I’d be on board with that.

Eric from Reedsburg, WI

Have any of the Packer players commented on the proposed rule changes to team drills?

If you’re referring to the banned drills, the Packers never did them under McCarthy and I can’t recall the last time they ever used them.

Brian from Fanwood, NJ

As far as the captain patches go, the Packers only had patched captains during the playoffs under McCarthy. I believe the stars and "C" denoted consecutive years elected, with a gold "C" in Year 5. Whatever route LaFleur goes with captains (season, weekly, or for the playoffs), would players like Rodgers go back to one star since we missed the playoffs and no patch was given? Also, would it be his, Gutenkunst's, or Murphy's decision to have patches at all, like the Steelers who don't wear any?

To clarify, the stars on the previous patches for playoff captains weren’t for consecutive years, just total years chosen. In 2016, Crosby’s patch was gold for five years, but he wasn’t a captain in ’12 or ’14. He was in ’10, ’11, ’13, ’15 and ’16. Decisions in these matters generally fall to the head coach, perhaps in consultation with the players.

David from De Pere, WI

I hope that whatever the Packers’ decision is on team captains, it’s not Aaron Rodgers. I don’t want to give up the photo bombs.

Well, if they decide to go with full-season captains, there won’t be a need for a captains’ photo every game, so then he’d have to find other photos to bomb. Expand his repertoire.

David from Appleton, WI

I have listened to the conference call with Dexter Williams several times, being intrigued with his answers to the Notre Dame suspension questions. In earlier “Packers Unscripted” podcasts, Insiders thought the most intriguing draft picks were Kingsley Keke and Jace Sternberger, also noting the best story was from Ka'Dar Hollman. Dexter Williams will give all three a "run for their money" (pun noted) on intrigue. He mentioned growing as a man is important to him. He's on my watch list.

Williams might have a better chance to make an impact as a rookie than any of the others you mentioned, no slight to them, but just based on the depth chart at their positions. We’ll see.