Inbox: Whatever it takes

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
mhu6sydrlxenjejdr6hk

Harry from Green Bay, WI

Insiders, 700 shovelers needed Sunday at Lambeau Field. Have either of you ever taken in the experience to shovel snow at the tundra?

I did once back in 2009. It was quite the experience. For whatever reasons, however, they had me carry salt up and down the stairs instead of actually shoveling. I think they were paying $8/hour at the time. It took two hours. Afterward, my buddies and I drove down the street and got some wings at Buffalo Wild Wings.

Rich from Colorado Springs, CO

On Sunday, will the Smith Bros. be able to suppress Green Bay's cold? Or do we not want that?

The Smiths like to joke about how they weren’t too excited about the cold when they first signed, but the truth is they’ve both embraced it. It doesn’t take long to understand how practicing in cold weather can be a significant advantage late in the season.

Elizabeth from Sylvania, OH

The perception has been that SF, NO and Seattle have been the top teams in the NFC this season. It was nearly a foregone conclusion that Minnesota was going to lose to NO, but it pulled off a tough win. All of a sudden Minnesota and Kirk Cousins are legitimate contenders and well-matched with SF with many believing they can pull it off again. The Packers handily beat Minnesota in their stadium in the second half of that game, but the perception of the Packers hasn't changed. Why is that?

It’s almost like nobody gives the NFC North the respect it deserves. That’s nothing new. Minnesota and Green Bay are two of the best teams in the conference. If both win this weekend, NFL pundits will have no other choice than to bend the knee.

Doug from Cedar City, UT

After the 2014 special-teams debacle against the Seahawks, I imagine the special-teams unit will practice fielding onside kicks the right way before Sunday.

If only the current kickoff rules were in play five years ago…

Steven from Silver Spring, MD

Given the forecast it would reason the special teams will take on particular importance this week. While Michael Dickson is a Pro Bowl punter for Seattle, how has its kicking game been this year and is there a comparison to Mason Crosby giving either team the edge? How about fakes or success rates?

The Packers’ biggest advantage nobody is talking about is Crosby’s intimate knowledge of kicking inside Lambeau Field. Nobody knows more about what it’s like to kick here in winter than Crosby. Jason Myers has been OK for Seattle. He missed five field goals and four extra points.

Corbin from Chippewa Falls, WI

Hey guys! I’m conflicted! My wife is due to have our baby on Sunday...is it wrong to have the game on in the room while my daughter is born? Thanks for all you do!

*As someone who nearly missed the birth of his son because of Aaron Rodgers returning against Carolina in December 2017, I strongly encourage you to concentrate solely on your wife and unborn child. There will be more NFC Divisional playoff games. My hope is a week from now you’ll be kicked back on your couch and watching the NFC title game with your child. *

Glenn from Hardscrabble, IN

Why don't the AFC teams play their wild-card and divisional round one day and the NFC teams the other? If you play the late game Sunday night on the road in the wild-card round, it would be possible for you to play the early game the next Saturday, again on the road. That's tough come playoff time. Is it just about the viewership and revenue or how are the kickoff times determined? Or does the network have more of a say in who's playing?

It’s mostly based on networks. They want the games that are going to push those ratings as high as possible. Last week, however, the NFL did the Seahawks a little favor with putting the Eagles game on Sunday late after Seattle played San Francisco on Sunday night.

Nick from Plainwell, MI

What AFC game are you intrigued by this weekend? After watching Tennessee upset New England, I'm excited to watch them face off against the powerhouse of the Ravens.

The Patriots could not stop Derrick Henry within five yards of the line of scrimmage and that was enough for Tennessee to dictate the tempo of that game. Now, can Henry do it again against one of the league’s best fronts? The Titans need another 35 carries from Henry to set the pace with Lamar Jackson on the opposite sideline.

Estillac from Belem, Brazil

Wes, how do I calm down? My pick: Those deep passes to MVS we saw at the first games of the season are coming back tomorrow!

Just breathe. The game will be here soon enough. That’s a good choice and the perfect redemption for Marquez Valdes-Scantling.