Inbox: Where it goes from there is harder to gauge

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
gxgxqcdsljg4bneywfrr

Steven from Silver Spring, MD

We have covered Amari Rodgers and how his body type and play style can relate to the slot receiver role. However good he is or may be. it does leave us in the same situation as last year where we seemingly only have one player qualifying for that role. What other players in camp are going to be alternative options for that role?

I'm as curious as you are. I suspect the coaches have a plan.

John from Charlottesville, VA

With Aaron Rodgers choosing to possibly skip OTAs, what impact does this have on the playbook? If ML wants to tweak the scheme, is he limited because his QB is not in the building? With the details AR wants in the scheme, it can't be easy for offensive players to learn it the way it is in the playbook and then later relearn it how AR wants it done.

If I'm LaFleur – and Lord knows I'm not, but bear with me – I'd make the changes I want to make and have Rodgers catch up later, which I'm sure he could do quickly. As to your latter point, I see the issue you're getting at, but those types of adjustments are always further down the road anyway.

Justin from New Castle, DE

Have you heard anything about the Rodgers situation or know as much as we do? The not knowing is driving me crazy.

I know as much as you do. I've compartmentalized the not knowing into something I will deal with when the time comes.

Joe from Wauwatosa, WI

I read an article where it named the upcoming players due for a big payday and no surprise but Davante Adams and Alexander were at the top of their position groups. With A-Rod, David Bakhtiari, Jaire, and Davante all being potentially the "highest paid" at their position or at the time of contract signing, can you remember a time the team had that many players who would lead their entire position group across the NFL? And that is without counting Aaron Jones, Kenny Clark and eventually Elgton Jenkins.

Careful now. You're straying from the prevailing national media narrative that the Packers haven't surrounded Rodgers with enough talent.

Joel from Green Bay, WI

The 17th game makes it impossible to break the schedule into even quarters; however, with an 18-week schedule, it could be broken evenly into thirds. In the case of the 2021 schedule, that means the first third sees the Packers on the road for four of six, with an even split of noon, late afternoon, and night games, and potentially four teams with new starting QBs. The second has a largely westward focus, and the final third has the bye, the two strongest-finishing AFCN teams and three divisional games.

Maybe I'll try that, at least for this year. With the Packers playing 12 games before their bye, it works for now.

Ethan from La Crosse, WI

Wes said, "Derrick Henry had 2,027 yards in 16 games last year. Can you imagine what he might've had with a 17th?" Yes, I can – approximately 2,134. I'm being a smart-aleck, of course, and simply averaged the numbers out for one more game. Obviously, this happened also when the league switched from 14 games to 16 games. Maybe this question is better for Cliff, but what was fan and player reaction like to the increase back then? This time, players were nearly equally split in their support for it.

I can't speak to the reaction back in 1978. I was in kindergarten. But it is worth noting that it still took until 1984 for a running back to join O.J. Simpson in the 2,000-yard club, and another 13 years after that for someone else to do it. Dickerson's 2,105 might not fall as quickly as some assume.