Inbox: Wouldn't that be something?

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
bgswlmf0etb2bpecqgfs

John from Dallas, TX

How much of a difference do you think having a third- or fourth-place schedule makes? I just saw a Patriots fan commenting that the Pats will easily have a better record in 2021 with a third-place schedule. Who's gonna tell him that means they play the Browns and the Chargers? And good luck to the Eagles and Falcons whose reward for last place is the 49ers.

First, it's only a difference of three games on a 17-game schedule, which isn't nothing, but that's less than a game per month that varies from any team's division foes. Second, "it's not whom you play but when you play 'em" is certainly a cliché, but it's a cliché because it's true.

Hannes from Milwaukee, WI

Wes/Mike, I try not to let the Aaron Rodgers saga get to me until we hear from him or the team on the decision that's been made. However, I was wondering when the iPads are handed out. I figure a lot of what's on those depends on the presence of the MVP-caliber quarterback, or lack thereof. Have Matt LaFleur and Nathaniel Hackett been thrust into a situation of having to rewrite large swaths of the playbook for contingency?

No. There may be variations on certain concepts that have been implemented because of how Rodgers has run them or things he's done, but there aren't entire sections of the playbook that would read like some kind of foreign language to other QBs.

Matty from Durango, CO

Insiders, there is an amazing preponderance of Matts contributing questions to II yet few Green Bay players with that moniker. Matt Flynn hardly counts and Clay Matthews is cheating. Are Matts doomed to be on the sideline, and if so will we see a drop-off in newborn Matts in the future?

You usurped the first name of the head coach after 26 years (out of 27) of Mikes. That has to count for something.

Bill from Wilmington, DE

Hi Mike, Davante Adams came out in support of AR. Are we in danger of losing both guys? Adams admitted as much, saying it may make him think more about his future.

Adams said exactly what everyone should have expected him to say. He's standing by his guy, and the end result here could impact the thought process about his future. Both natural, reasonable stances to take.

Caroline from La Crosse, WI

I'm not going to lose sleep over the Aaron Rodgers' saga, but as a fan I just want to say my piece. I've always appreciated his football acumen while not always understanding the person. As stated by many, Aaron is measured and thoughtful in his speech and knows exactly what he is saying or not saying, to whom, into what circumstance and the precise ramifications it will have. Thus, I am disgusted with his passive-aggressive behavior and attempts to control the Packers organization and fans.

It's perfectly understandable you feel that way, and you're not alone. I'll just say neither side is blameless here, and hopefully in time things will work out and make this a long-forgotten footnote.

Curt from Algonquin, IL

Mark Tauscher caught a touchdown pass on a tackle-eligible play in 2005, but it was nullified by a holding call; on Bubba Franks, if I recall correctly.

Christmas Day, in fact, but the penalty was actually on Grey Ruegamer (sorry Grey).