Inbox: You can plug a lot of holes with versatility

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
rwld8h9pwvbk6xyqqstg

Dane from Franklin, WI

To all this talk about it being easy to stick some position trackers in the ball, knowing the ball's position is meaningless without also being able to determine the moment when a ball carrier is tackled. Even with all the replay angles, it isn't always easy to see when the knee/elbow/etc. first hits the turf, especially on an inside run in short yardage where there are bodies everywhere. That, and I don't relish commercial breaks after each running play while officials figure out the spot.

Throw on your 2069 glasses and riddle me this – what if there were censors on the sideline tracking how far the ball advanced, which trigger once the whistle sounds marking the end of forward progress?

Mike from Mount Prospect, IL

Gentlemen, what is the worst spate of injuries you've seen a team endure at a particular position? During a game or during a season, either way.

I don’t have a great gauge on the entire NFL to compare and contrast injuries, but the Packers-Falcons NFC title game has to be up there. Jordy Nelson was playing with broken ribs and LaDarius Gunter was matching Julio Jones. You do the math.

Jason from Des Plaines, IL

Who will have the better end to their career with their new team? Randall Cobb or Clay Matthews? Understandably, both players must want to prove to the Packers’ front office that they can still play and have a positive impact. I give the advantage to Cobb, since we will be seeing him quite often in Dallas, and he recently compared his relationship with Green Bay to that of an ex-girlfriend. We have to wish them both the best of luck!

If Cobb stays healthy, I see him having a good year in Dallas. He’s still only 28 and Dak Prescott tends to lean on his slot receivers. Cobb also should benefit from having Amari Cooper distracting defensive backs. I’m not sure what to expect with Matthews to be honest.

Joshua from Houston, TX

After the first night of NBA free agency, I can say that I'm glad the NFL free agency isn't like that.

I can explain practically anything as it relates to NFL contracts, but I don’t possess a high enough IQ to process NBA free agency…and no, I’m not asking for an explanation, either.

Marlon from Eagle River, WI

How do the players feel about playing Thursday night games following a Sunday game?

They don’t love it, but everyone understands it comes with the territory. Thursday Night Football is hot right now…so hot.

Bill from Negaunee, MI

After losing to the Lions so often in recent years, the rumor mill has now been saying they have surpassed the Packers in talent and will once again be looking down at them in the standings come January. Tell me, will I once again have to bow down before my Lions friends or can I stand proud once again?

No disrespect to the Lions, but they haven’t exactly been world-beaters the past few years, either. The Bears are the defending NFC North champs and the Vikings have been competitive in their own right. I still think the Lions are trying to catch up to the pack, literally and figuratively, regardless of what the records indicate the past two years. You won at Lambeau? Congrats. Hang a banner.

Mike from Madison, WI

The Fourth of July is coming up. Will you be grilling brats, hot dogs, or a combo of the two?

I’ll be working…and then raiding my parents’ fridge for a brat.

Pete from Holly Springs, NC

How was Disneyland and Star Wars Galaxy's Edge, Wes? Were you able to take the Millennium Falcon out for a spin?

It had been six years since I was at Disneyland. We had a great time. Galaxy’s Edge was cool. You can tell that Star Wars-land section is only in its infancy right now, but the ride was fun. My 11-year-old nephew kept running through over and over again in the single-rider line.

Sean from Green Bay, WI

I hate to steal Kyle's thunder, but my twins were born the same day he submitted his question. I wanted to ask an advice question, but instead wanted to let Kyle know nothing prepares you for the feeling of fatherhood. It is the best feeling in the world. Prepared or not your love will trump all anxiety. Mike or Wes, what are your best experiences with your children you have had so far? My memories are only starting and I grow excited to watch them get stronger each day.

The first time I held my son. That moment is undefeated. My wife and I had several miscarriages before he was born, so that entire day was extremely emotional for both of us.

John from Green Bay, WI

With all the offseason camps that the players do, do they sometimes lose focus on the season?

Not at all. Players have family, friends and advisors who help in the planning process. Kenny Clark just hosted his third annual camp this past week. His mom, Nicole, does everything from designing T-shirts to cooking. It takes a village. Always.