Inbox: You gotta earn it every summer

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
it1lm3fmkp8wjqlnlssz

Dave from Lafayette, CO

"I thank God that I got cut and I have an opportunity to play with a defensive genius." I find Mike Daniels’ comments a little surprising and a dig on the Packers. I thought he had more character than that. Thoughts? Time to move on and give thanks for his replacement... Montravius Adams or someone else. Make it a GREAT day!

That’s a tantalizing one-liner, but be sure to listen to Daniels’ entire quote. There is some context missing. He also went out of his way to thank Mike Pettine and the Packers for the opportunity. He was gracious in my estimation.

Steven from Silver Spring, MD

The draft pick cannot be overlooked when discussing the Mike Daniels transaction. For all the talk about what the Lions paid, they did so without spending a draft pick so that is absolutely better than spending the same amount plus a lost draft pick.

It depends on your cap space. In Detroit’s case, the Lions had room to absorb a big one-year hit. The closer you are to zero, however, the more the dollars and cents matter when making those last-minute calls.

Richard from Clearwater, MN

Among the speculated reasons on why Aaron Jones was not featured more in the offense was his blocking. Any indication it is still a concern potentially limiting his use this season?

I feel Jones took a big step with his pass pro in Year 2, but I think the construct of the offense is going to be different this year, too. I don’t think it’s going to require a running back to plant his heels down in shotgun formations against the blitzing linebacker as frequently as in the past. Jones also is in the best shape of his life. I think that’ll translate.

Matthias from Hartford, WI

Let's pretend I'm a late free-agent signee who needs to eat clean and is paid league minimum, and cannot afford to pay a nutritionist or private chef. How do I eat clean food?

Easy. Don’t leave Lambeau. In team dining, the players are provided with some of the best food in Green Bay three times each day.

Jeff from Green Bay, WI

There’s been very little coverage of special-teams work in the four practices so far, other than a couple of missed FG attempts by Sam Ficken on the first day of camp. Are those portions of practice just not focused on, or are they quite seldom practiced as a team? I am really excited to see who is making a push to lead the group of punt gunners and kick returners with all the speed on this roster. Are the preseason games necessary for determining these spots, based on production in live game environments?

Mason Crosby is hurt, Ficken is 8-of-10 on field goals and JK Scott has looked good so far on punts. That’s about all we’ve seen other than who the Packers are using as their first kickoff return team. The preseason games are necessary to an extent. It’s well-documented how James Crawford solidified his roster spot last year in Kansas City.

Mark from Bettendorf, IA

Has any player ever gotten hurt riding a kid's bike? If not, what would happen to that tradition if one did get hurt?

Not that I’m aware of. If someone ever did, I don’t think it would affect the tradition, though. It’s not like they’re driving dirt bikes to practice.

Chris from Vandalia, IL

I hear a lot of fans think winning the Super Bowl is the only way to have a successful season. I've always thought doing better than the previous season made it successful; if your team had a losing record, get a winning record. Then, it would be make the playoffs. Then, it would be win a playoff game. Then, make the championship game. Then, make the Super Bowl. If you made the Super Bowl last year, then a successful season is only winning the big game. What do you consider to be a successful season?

Progress. Like any successful team or industry, there must be reason for the players/employees to believe tomorrow will be brighter than today. Winning a Super Bowl is the ultimate goal, but teams must build a solid foundation to accomplish it. That’s what this season is about.

Joshua from Houston, TX

I’m guessing both the Packers and Texans will be scouting each other for some good cut candidates, right?

I mean they’d be foolish not to.

David from Appleton, WI

Have you noticed a difference in the number of reps the backup QBs are getting during training camp this year under Matt LaFleur as opposed to previous years under Mike McCarthy?

It’s interesting. There probably have been more reps with the coaches occasionally running two simultaneous team periods, but time of practices has been reduced.