It just takes a spark: A motivated Theo Riddick could bring new dimension to Denver's offense

Miles

Mar 18, 2019
jb8wkkcoa1ocuuqkkqhe

COULD’VE BEEN A CHAMP

As Fangio headed into his first season as defensive coordinator for the Colts, he nearly added a future Hall of Famer to his secondary.

The Colts, Fangio explained Sunday, were all set to take Champ Bailey with the fourth-overall pick in the 1999 NFL Draft. But a trade just hours before the draft sent Marshall Faulk to the Rams and left Indianapolis scrambling to shore up their run game. Instead, Indianapolis selected Edgerrin James, who is no slouch himself. James started his career with the Colts and is a three-time Hall of Fame finalist.

Fangio, though, would have relished the opportunity to coach Bailey.

“It was close to where I had Champ, which would’ve been nice,” Fangio said.

INJURY UPDATES

Linebacker Joe Jones will “definitely be out for a few weeks,” Fangio said Sunday.

The Broncos’ coach said he couldn’t say more about the Northwestern product, who exited Thursday’s game against Atlanta.

Linebacker Aaron Wallace (hamstring) and wide receiver Jamarius Way (personal reasons) were among the players to miss practice.

EVALUATING THURSDAY NIGHT

Rookies Dre’Mont Jones and Malik Reed both earned acknowledgment from their coach when Fangio was asked if anyone stood out to him on film from Thursday’s game against Atlanta.

“The guys that played good, I was thinking they would,” Fangio said. "[Jones] played good in the D-line. … Malik Reed had some good plays. But overall, I thought the guys played well, especially on the defensive side. Offensively, I thought our line played good overall even though the stats don’t bear that. We’ve just got to throw it and catch it better offensively.”