‘It’s no time to pat ourselves on the back’: Broncos not content after first win

Miles

Mar 18, 2019
uveisc2cxhonpepgjdh4

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — When the dust settled after the Broncos’ 20-13 win over the Chargers, the Broncos’ locker room was not exactly jubilant.

Yes, they had broken their four-game skid and did so on the road against a division rival that was a playoff team a year ago, but after a brief celebration as President of Football Operations/General Manager John Elway gave the game ball to Head Coach Vic Fangio for his first win, it felt like the team had already begun to turn the page to the next game.

“At the end of the day, we’ve got a very deep hole, right?” wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders said Monday. “We’re not out of the hole. I don’t know if it’s excitement or the focus is, say, [that] there’s no time to get excited. It’s no time to pat ourselves on the back. We’re still looking up saying, ‘Man, we’ve got a long ways to go to get ourselves out of this hole.’

“At least that’s how I feel. So I’m overly focused and trying to get another win, back-to-back wins. That’s where my mind is. I don’t have time to be excited over one win when we’re sitting here at 1-4. I’m worried about that next one, trying to get us to two and trying to get us to three.”

As Sanders and the rest of the team prepare for the Titans, there’s little value to be found in basking in just one win. All it carries is a little validation of knowing their approach can work, and that only lasts so long before the team must put it behind them to get ready for the next challenge.

“We definitely know we were close, but we had to go out there and take the games and win it,” cornerback Chris Harris Jr. said. “So now we’ve just got to keep the same approach that we had last week, same focus, same preparation and get ready for a great team. This Titans team, they’re capable of beating anybody, and we’ve got to be ready to play.”

The Broncos may have done enough good things to get a win last week, but there was also plenty of miscues that players know they have to correct to stack another win.