‘I’ve got to prove myself again’: After one last honor for rookie season, Phillip Lindsay ready to move on

Miles

Mar 18, 2019
pgdzxyzg4phxxn3rpauz

Lindsay’s 2018 season earned him plenty of accolades, including Week 13 AFC Offensive Player of the Week honors, a Pro Bowl selection and inclusion in the Pro Football Writers of America’s All-Rookie team.

There has been time for him to bask in those praises, but he’s moving past that stage as a new season approaches.

“Sometimes I think back and I’m like, ‘Dang, this is surreal.’ And sometimes I think back and I’m like, ‘I’ve been working hard for this moment,’” Lindsay said. “But now it’s about maintaining it. It’s about keeping it up.

“Everybody loves you when you’re doing well, but when you start falling off, you’re the [scum] of the earth,” Lindsay said. “I’ve just got to keep going.”

That work began in earnest Tuesday with the start of the Broncos’ offseason program, as players returned for strength and conditioning workouts. Lindsay, who is still recovering from a wrist injury suffered in Week 16 that required surgery, said he’s not able to participate in every drill but added that he’s doing everything the training staff allows.

After all, this is invaluable time that will partly lay the foundation for the 2019 season, and nothing can keep him from doing whatever he can.

“I’m ready to get on to the next year and continue to get better,” Lindsay said.

He may not be an unproven player like he was when entering his first NFL season, but that won’t stop Lindsay from keeping the same mindset.

It’s back to square one.