Iyiegbuniwe delivering COVID-19 message

Staley Da Bear

Mar 16, 2019
kf2lyo1ml1td7b9yooxu

"It's very important," Iyiegbuniwe said on the Bears All Access radio show Thursday night on WSCR 670 AM.

"I feel like we do have an opportunity and a platform to use social media. It's important to use that to relay that message because people my age can be a little stubborn sometimes and feel like they don't have to listen and they're above what's going on. Personally, I've been doing as much as I can to tell my friends and family to just stay away and try to minimalize contact with people. I think it's important. The news has done a good job and social media has helped relay that message to people."

To help stop the spread of the virus, people are being encouraged to wash their hands frequently and thoroughly for at least 20 seconds, stay in their homes when possible and practice social distancing. Recent news reports showing spring-breakers frolicking in droves on Florida beaches prove that not everyone is following those guidelines.

"A lot of people aren't taking it as serious as they should," Iyiegbuniwe said. "My mom has been telling me a lot that I need to do a good job of staying indoors and staying away from people. A lot of people don't think it's as serious as it is and they can still go out, whether it's going out on the weekend or even going out to the gym.

"It's just important to stay away from people right now. That's a big message that's not really getting across yet. But hopefully in the next days and weeks people can realize that this is something that needs to be taken seriously and they should listen to the news and professionals."

Iyiegbuniwe recently posted a thank you message to health-care workers on Advocate Health Care's twitter account.