Jaire Alexander aiming to be 'dominant without hesitation'

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
ipwziotsmf2sv3e8h20r

Alexander didn't buy any books or download any apps to learn how to meditate. He's largely self-taught, though his love of yoga provided a path to better understanding himself and his body – and it seems to be working.

Alexander is off to arguably the best start of his young career with 19 tackles, four passes defensed, an interception and sack for a safety through the first four games. Pulled late in the fourth quarter of a decisive 42-21 win over Detroit, Alexander has otherwise played every meaningful snap this season.

The 5-foot-10, 196-pound cornerback has faced some stiff competition, too. In the first four weeks, he's covered the likes of Julio Jones, Adam Thielen, Marvin Jones Jr., Emmanuel Sanders and last week contributed to the streaking Calvin Ridley being held without a catch on five targets.

Bright lights have never been an issue for Alexander, who lightheartedly refers to himself as "Primetime Ja-Money" for how well he's performed historically in nationally televised night games.

But one area Alexander has worked to improve is his focus and maintaining that tunnel vision for a 60-minute game.

"I would say a lot of times my thoughts or my mind will be racing," Alexander said. "I just needed a way to keep that focus and be more dominant on and even off the field. A lot of players have anxiety just because of the stage that we're on. That's been the biggest way to calm that down for me and just simplify and narrow the game for me. It's been really good."

The proof has been in the production. Alexander has yet to allow 100 combined receiving yards this year – 12 catches on 19 targets for 95 yards, one touchdown and one INT, according to Pro Football Focus. His 0.66 yards allowed per snap are third fewest among cornerbacks with more than 100 coverage snaps played.

His play was essential Monday night against the Falcons. Because while Jones (hamstring) and Ridley (ankle) were dealing with injuries, Green Bay finished the game without a starting perimeter cornerback (Kevin King/quad) and nickel corner (Chandon Sullivan/concussion).